USB ports installed for android auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may have been done before, but,

Completed a quick little project last night, that went way easier than expected. The result was everything i envisioned, and i am super happy with it!

My new head unit has 2 usb ports. one for charging and one for android auto. The cables are decent length, but i had no way to secure them. I jumped online and found a round dual usb port.

I removed the factory cig lighter plug, and using a dremel opened up the hole slightly. Then installed the usb ports there.

I now have easy access to the ports, and can close the ash tray when not in use.
You must be registered for see images attach

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Great job with the ports. I did the same thing with my stereo install. Retround sells the USB port that's designed to fit directly into the lighter position. The cord then plugs directly into the their head unit.

ninety1500

Reaction score
Looks great! Did you make a video of the backup camera installed? I'm curious where you ran the wire and grounded in the back.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks great! Did you make a video of the backup camera installed? I'm curious where you ran the wire and grounded in the back.
havent gotten around to installing it yet, i wanted to wait on the drop so the wire wasnt in the way of the c notch.

I should do that though..

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone else with radio usb notice it doesn't really charge? like sometimes the phone battery goes down while plugged in. is there any way to fix that?

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The usb might be more on the line of a data port like for installing pictures or music instead of a power port. Check the amps. Most usb chargers are 2-3amps.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i can get much faster charging with just a usb insert in the factory cig lighter port. i would think, by now, they would be pushing enough amps to charge the phone, AND play music/navigate..

ninety1500

Reaction score
I agree, I doubt you would really get much juice especially with today's phones with huge screens and a ton of radios inside of it. I would use the cig lighter like you said.

ninety1500

Reaction score
havent gotten around to installing it yet, i wanted to wait on the drop so the wire wasnt in the way of the c notch.

I should do that though..
I'm looking forward to checking it out when you do. I wasn't aware of this BOSS radio before I saw yours but I definitely think putting one in, especially with the affordable camera is a great idea. Oh, I think I read that the face of it comes off also. Have you tried that out yet? I live in a house but I see people on that nextdoor app all the time talking about people grabbing stuff out of cars. Since this is a second vehicle I'd probably just remove the face when I'm not using it to make it a little less "shiny" for the people with the sticky fingers.