Upper ball joint bolt holes dont line up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't think this was a difficult problem that a little research couldn't solve. Norway isn't the moon. As it appears that was too harsh, I apologize to whomever took offense.
I have the premium mevotek green to install next. Dorman is always a crap shoot, maybe good maybe bad. The big names we grew up with are becoming less reliable. So many cheap quality import, cheap price. Not for me. Broken ball joint at 60 mph makes for memorable ride. Good luck.

JollyCaptain

Reaction score
I didn't think this was a difficult problem that a little research couldn't solve. Norway isn't the moon. As it appears that was too harsh, I apologize to whomever took offense.
I have the premium mevotek green to install next. Dorman is always a crap shoot, maybe good maybe bad. The big names we grew up with are becoming less reliable. So many cheap quality import, cheap price. Not for me. Broken ball joint at 60 mph makes for memorable ride. Good luck.
Thanks man. Your good.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just from looking at your picture it seems like those UCAs are from a 1/2 ton truck. When I rebuilt my 99 Burb’s front end Amazon told me the 3/4 ton UCAs fit my truck (wrong!) and they were MUCH larger and beefier than the ones on my truck. Tahoe diesel, huh? Was that a former military or fleet truck perhaps?

JollyCaptain

Reaction score
Just from looking at your picture it seems like those UCAs are from a 1/2 ton truck. When I rebuilt my 99 Burb’s front end Amazon told me the 3/4 ton UCAs fit my truck (wrong!) and they were MUCH larger and beefier than the ones on my truck. Tahoe diesel, huh? Was that a former military or fleet truck perhaps?
Hey, I’ve never seen a Tahoe obs with anything other than the diesels. In person. Older ones have the 6.2L with mechanical diesel pump. And the ones most common here are the 6.5TD ones.

Probably because gas is more expensive here. Or it used to. Now gas and diesel are equally expensive.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with Mevotech. Their upper ball joint did not work with OEM arms. They fit great with their own branded arms, though. Sometimes new parts aren’t made to OE specs. It’s a crap shoot.

I know how frustrated you may feel. I can’t offer any real advice besides try another. Please email the manufacturer directly and voice your issues. They need to know when they mess up.

Reaction score
The Delphi is the only part that directly states it crosses to the GM part number. i've never used the new Delphi Technologies suspension parts, and have no reason to believe they're anything but rebranded import parts. Delphi split from GM, went bankrupt, and split into 2 companies. Delphi was never into suspension parts that I know of.... maybe when GM divisions started getting rolled into fewer units? Suspension parts are a newer venture for Delphi Technologies, and given that many many plants were closed, or went back to GM, or with the other spin off company, I'd be highly suspicious that suspension parts are an attempt to cash in on the Delphi name.

I'd sooner go with ACDelco, although, I see they're quite expensive compared to the other offerings on Rockauto. I'd just go with the 5.7L gas listings and pick one that suited me. Looking now, I'd probably go with the Mevotech TTX, or the Dorman HD..... or the ACDelco. Normally, I stay away from Dorman, but I'd give these a chance.

Normally I'd say "Moog" for suspension or steering parts, but the upper ball joint in particular doesn't impress me.
I recommend XRF brand. I just replaced my entire front suspension with XRF and couldn't be happier!! Plus, they offer a million mile warranty!
They were the ONLY brand I could find that actually told you what kind of metal their products are made from.

JollyCaptain

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with Mevotech. Their upper ball joint did not work with OEM arms. They fit great with their own branded arms, though. Sometimes new parts aren’t made to OE specs. It’s a crap shoot.

I know how frustrated you may feel. I can’t offer any real advice besides try another. Please email the manufacturer directly and voice your issues. They need to know when they mess up.
This, right here. Yes.

Update: today I installed another brand successfully. I think they were “quick silver” ? But they fit. The protection boot didn’t click into place on the ball joint, but it’s full of grease now, so no water should enter.

For those searching this topic in the future; you could get a parts that says it supposed fit, but does not. I don’t have any explanation. It’s like previous poster says. FVP was wrong in their listing info.

Reaction score
I recommend XRF brand. I just replaced my entire front suspension with XRF and couldn't be happier!! Plus, they offer a million mile warranty!
They were the ONLY brand I could find that actually told you what kind of metal their products are made from.
I forgot to mention that they are also made in the USA!!!

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that they are also made in the USA!!!