Upper ball joint bolt holes dont line up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyCaptain

Reaction score
What is going on here, ideas anyone?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm thinking you ordered the upper ball joint for a diesel Tahoe, but have a gas engine. Looking at the catalog, it looks like the diesel used the heavier suspension from the 8-lug trucks.

Also the "buyer's guide" you highlightted doesn't take into account all the relavent details. You have to look up the correct vehicle to begin with. Even with the correct vehicle listing you have to pay attention to details. Some Tahoes were 2wd, and those parts are listed in there too.

JollyCaptain

Reaction score
I see. That was my worry.
It is actually a Tahoe 6.5td, but I think you might be right about 6lug vs 8lug.
Can someone help me find the right part.
Chevrolet Tahoe 2door. 4wd. 6.5td. 1997. Input those in rockauto and this part shows compatibility. But obviously not. Its was cheap, I can use it on my K3500 probably. Thanks for replying.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It is actually a Tahoe 6.5td, but I think you might be right about 6lug vs 8lug.
Chevrolet Tahoe 2door. 4wd. 6.5td. 1997. Input those in rockauto and this part shows compatibility. But obviously not. Its was cheap, I can use it on my K3500 probably. Thanks for replying.

Interesting that it won't fit the diesel Tahoe. I'm not sure I've ever seen a diesel Tahoe, and definitely not an 8-lug. I wonder if it's a mistake by FVP? They're a discount brand that sells other manufacturers parts, and I believe much of their offerings are a recent thing.

I would assume you'd need parts for a K1500 truck, but I'd also assume you'd like a bit more concrete an answer given shipping to Norway.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That should be the correct part number for the diesel (L65). Just curious, maybe that ball joint mounts from the underside of the control arm instead of the topside. Highly doubt it, but would not hurt to see if the holes align. Could you try?

Perhaps another possibility: someone in the past replaced your stock control arms with ones from a non-diesel and therefore you need non-diesel ball joints to match the holes?

Last edited:

JollyCaptain

Reaction score
Thanks both for suggestion. I have tried mounting it underside. I wondered the same. But alas, only the front bolts line up.
Funny because the lower ball joint’s come in 3 different sizes. So I evaluated them good before ordering. But no info on the upper ball joint being different.

Mine is a Tahoe 6.5td with 6 lugs.

Rockauto says nothing about 6 vs 8 lug but this is my suspect, if I order doorman original maybe and hopefully it will fit?

It is doubtful that the controllarms are aftermarket, cuz I had to grind off the rivets.

I’m trying to search for info, and hopefully someone on here knows what’s going on…

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks both for suggestion. I have tried mounting it underside. I wondered the same. But alas, only the front bolts line up.
Funny because the lower ball joint’s come in 3 different sizes. So I evaluated them good before ordering. But no info on the upper ball joint being different.

Mine is a Tahoe 6.5td with 6 lugs.

Rockauto says nothing about 6 vs 8 lug but this is my suspect, if I order doorman original maybe and hopefully it will fit?

It is doubtful that the controllarms are aftermarket, cuz I had to grind off the rivets.

I’m trying to search for info, and hopefully someone on here knows what’s going on…
I suspect most diesels have 8 lugs, and so perhaps the only other ball joint FVP offers for the 1997 Tahoe, the B6292, is the one you need.

JollyCaptain

Reaction score
Thank you good sir.

Ah, after some clicking around. I think I understand. If I change vehicle to v8 5.7 I find B6292.

Should I just gamble and order those, even though mine is a diesel.

So we learned something at least. There are two different bolt on upper ball joints. Never knew.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No Tahoe ever came 8 lug and 6.5 trucks in half tons were 6 lug. They got the 4L80 and the only ones I've seen in trucks also had the F44, but any of those trucks would simply take a ball joint for a 6 lug truck.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you try " GM parts giant " and enter the vin to see what number the gm or came back with? Then use the OE number to cross to what quality brand you want to use?
When this kind of " iffy " question comes up I try to use the most accurate source of information. Good luck!