Update on my 11 blade clutch fan vs original 5 blade fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I never saw it until a few weeks ago. I have been looking for a way to make my AC work better at idle. I thought about an E-fan swap, but figured I would give this a try first.

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also just saw this thread. Definitely need to do this, I hate the jet motor sound the stock fan makes.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will say this , the new fan is louder. It is moving more air.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I never saw it until a few weeks ago. I have been looking for a way to make my AC work better at idle. I thought about an E-fan swap, but figured I would give this a try first.
I added an aux ac fan that some of our trucks came with, and some didn't. Tied it to a relay and the air sitting at idlefor long periods is much cooler. I have an 11 blade clutch fan too.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Engine temp has never been an issue in my truck, so no real difference there, but I hear it roar some what, so I know it's moving more air. As for the AC, yes a big difference. I went to get lunch today. Its 3 blocks to a stop sign
then right 3 more blocks. The AC was cooling at the first block. by the time I got to the restaurant, my truck was cooled off. Its never cooled off that quick. Keep in mind, I had to stop 1/2 way there. it usually takes about 1 mile to start cooling off good, so 4 to 6 blocks is a huge improvement. It was in the mid 80s at lunch.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
sounds like good results, I will be switching mine out in hopefully the near future...

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Make no mistake, it does roar, but the AC is cooler a lot faster. It was 91 today when I left work. My truck was hot when I got in. It sits in the sun all day. I went 3 blocks and had to stop for a stop sign. It was already cooling well. Turned left, and went 6 blocks. Had to stop for a red light. Truck was cooled off. Vent temp was still nice and cool, but not as much as when I was moving. as soon as the light changed within 2 blocks, truck was cold again. This was in 91 degree heat. AC has never worked that good before. IMO, the only way to get better results, would be an E-fan swap, but this was soooo easy.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I thought I would up date this thread. After the 9 blade fan install, I could not take the fan noise any more, It was screaming at high RPMs. no to mention who much power it was robing from my engine. So today I went back to pull a part, and returned the 9 blade fan, and got a set of E-fans off of a Cadillac DTS. I figure if the fans can keep a North Star 32 valve v-8 cool, I should be good in my 97 5.7L. For now, I have the old 5 blade back on the truck. I need to do all of the wiring, bracket making, and everything else to install the E-fans. I put the shroud from the DTS on a 97 Burb that didn't have any shroud, or fan on it in the junk yard while I was there, and it looks like they will be a good fit.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I thought I would up date this thread. After the 9 blade fan install, I could not take the fan noise any more, It was screaming at high RPMs. no to mention who much power it was robing from my engine. So today I went back to pull a part, and returned the 9 blade fan, and got a set of E-fans off of a Cadillac DTS. I figure if the fans can keep a North Star 32 valve v-8 cool, I should be good in my 97 5.7L. For now, I have the old 5 blade back on the truck. I need to do all of the wiring, bracket making, and everything else to install the E-fans. I put the shroud from the DTS on a 97 Burb that didn't have any shroud, or fan on it in the junk yard while I was there, and it looks like they will be a good fit.
Are you sure your fan clutch is working correctly? I put a new clutch on my yukon with the 5 blade fan a few weeks ago because the old one was stuck fully engaged. Now the only time I hear my fan is for about a quarter mile after I first start it up, or if I start off after idling with the ac running for more than a few minutes, and it doesn't stay engaged for very long. Engine revs so much smoother and with more power too.
Maybe the 5 blade clutch just isn't compatible with the other fans, and vise versa. Is yours working right now that the 5 blade is bolted to it again?