Update on my 11 blade clutch fan vs original 5 blade fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you sure your fan clutch is working correctly? I put a new clutch on my yukon with the 5 blade fan a few weeks ago because the old one was stuck fully engaged. Now the only time I hear my fan is for about a quarter mile after I first start it up, or if I start off after idling with the ac running for more than a few minutes, and it doesn't stay engaged for very long. Engine revs so much smoother and with more power too.
Maybe the 5 blade clutch just isn't compatible with the other fans, and vise versa. Is yours working right now that the 5 blade is bolted to it again?
When I got the 9 blade, I got the clutch with it, so I just installed the complete unit. Same for the OE 5 blade. I never swapped out any clutch from any other fan. After some research, I found out that the viscous fan clutches do not disengage at high RPMs. I was under the impression that they did, but I was wrong. So the faster I went (higher RPMs) the 9 blade was screaming or roaring big time. The clutch on the 9 blade felt a lot tighter than my old 5 blade, but it still was free spinning. I can not and never could hear my 5 blade fan at all. I guess its no mater anyway as I brought the 9 blade back and got the electric fans anyway. Its just to hot to mess with the install for now. Mid 90s in the afternoon. Not to mention, I need to make brackets,and do the wiring. As for the OE 5 blade, it has always keep the truck engine temp cool. I was just trying to make the AC work better. The 9 blade did help some, but I know the E-fans will work better, and will help engine performance at high RPMs some too.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I never saw it until a few weeks ago. I have been looking for a way to make my AC work better at idle. I thought about an E-fan swap, but figured I would give this a try first.
I added e-fans to my suburban and it's a night and day difference for the a/c especially at idle. Also noticeably colder while driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I added e-fans to my suburban and it's a night and day difference for the a/c especially at idle. Also noticeably colder while driving.

Where did you put your temp switch for fan cut on. I am think about weld in a bung to, or make a spacer for the thermostat housing

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you put your temp switch for fan cut on. I am think about weld in a bung to, or make a spacer for the thermostat housing
I have my stock black box controlling the low side, and the high side is wired to come on whenever the a/c is on. When I eventually switch to a 411 pcm it'll control both fan speeds.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got the 9 blade, I got the clutch with it, so I just installed the complete unit. Same for the OE 5 blade. I never swapped out any clutch from any other fan. After some research, I found out that the viscous fan clutches do not disengage at high RPMs. I was under the impression that they did, but I was wrong. So the faster I went (higher RPMs) the 9 blade was screaming or roaring big time. The clutch on the 9 blade felt a lot tighter than my old 5 blade, but it still was free spinning. I can not and never could hear my 5 blade fan at all. I guess its no mater anyway as I brought the 9 blade back and got the electric fans anyway. Its just to hot to mess with the install for now. Mid 90s in the afternoon. Not to mention, I need to make brackets,and do the wiring. As for the OE 5 blade, it has always keep the truck engine temp cool. I was just trying to make the AC work better. The 9 blade did help some, but I know the E-fans will work better, and will help engine performance at high RPMs some too.
Sounds to me like the clutch that came with the 9 blade fan was bad. Shouldn't be engaged all the time like that. My new fan clutch lets loose pretty quick if it's engaged and the rpms start climbing high.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the clutch that came with the 9 blade fan was bad. Shouldn't be engaged all the time like that. My new fan clutch lets loose pretty quick if it's engaged and the rpms start climbing high.
You could be rite, IDK. I just figured why fight it. The E-fans is what I should have done from the get go, but after seeing this thread, I thought it was worth a try. No biggie. I know the E- fans will not rob any engine performance. I just hope I don't need a 140 amp alt to pull it off. I already did the big 3 (or big 5 in my case) up grade. I used #2 welding lead. So I guess I will find out.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the fan clutch possibly being bad. I did the 11 blade fan about a month ago. My old clutch was starting to hang up so i replaced it. I hear the fan for about the first minute of driving from sitting for 8+ hours. Sometimes I hear it if I have the ac on and am starting out from a stop but it stops by the time i hit about 5mph but that is very rare.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with the fan clutch possibly being bad. I did the 11 blade fan about a month ago. My old clutch was starting to hang up so i replaced it. I hear the fan for about the first minute of driving from sitting for 8+ hours. Sometimes I hear it if I have the ac on and am starting out from a stop but it stops by the time i hit about 5mph but that is very rare.
I kind of had the same thoughts about the clutch being bad. No mater what I need to make a trip back to pull a part anyway, so I chose E-fans. I thought about swapping clutches from the 5 blade, but sense I still had warranty on the 9 blade fan, and the improvement in the AC wasn't that big in the mid 90 degree heat I just figured e-fans would be better. Like I said, no big deal, I had to go back to pull a part anyway. I do appreciate the replies and advice. Thanks guys.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I found this wiring video on you tube. I like the 3 relay set up. I know that the fans I picked up are controlled by the ECM on the cadi DTS I got them off of, and the ECM controls them with a low and high speed with a resistor in the ECM. So a 3 relay wiring may be the way to go. I could do the high speed for the ac, and also on a toggle as a back up.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media