Up early and headed out this morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, so I really do like the Tundra. Honestly, the reason I got the thing is because I respected the squarebody and GMT400 setups so much. I wanted the most bullet-proof, simple truck that I could find that would start every time and not complain when I asked it to get something done.

In a time of cylinder deactivation, turbos, lots of extra gears and "stuff" there was Tundra. You pay for it with fuel economy, but the thing is bulletproof (heck, they hadn't done anything except make that setup for 15 years!). The new ones with turbos and 3.5L v6 ... I'm not sold. At any rate, that's the story that no one asked for... continue on and please forgive my soft spot for the Toyota 5.7 as needed.
There is also always the Titan option. I am not a Toyota fan at all, but the Titans V8 is and always has been a monster in its class. The old 317 HP/5spd auto version had no problem out performing the 355 hp 5.3 with a 6 or 8spd loaded or unloaded. The newer 5.6L is a 400+ hp engine with over 400 ft/lbs. It puts as much HP and TQ to the ground as the L8T 6.6 gas. I will say GMs HD trucks do use the AAM 11.5" from memory but at the power level we are talking its not really needed. The 9.5 much less 10.5 would have worked. The Titans AAM 9.25 is perfectly adequate for a 1/2 ton especially with the gear overlap from having a 2.94 ratio. The 5.6L will pull a flat deck car trailer with a car on it at ~1,700 rpm at 70 mph on flat land like it is not there and only drops a gear on grades.

Last edited:

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is also always the Titan option. I am not a Toyota fan at all, but the Titans V8 is and always has been a monster in its class. The old 317 HP/5spd auto version had no problem out performing the 355 hp 5.3 with a 6 or 8spd loaded or unloaded. The newer 5.6L is a 400+ hp engine with over 400 ft/lbs. ... The 5.6L will pull a flat deck car trailer with a car on it at ~1,700 rpm at 70 mph on flat land like it is not there and only drops a gear on grades.
Good point - I had forgoton about that other v8 option. I hear they may be in their last year or so which is too bad. They're not made far from here (Mississippi), and they've got a good reputation.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point - I had forgoton about that other v8 option. I hear they may be in their last year or so which is too bad. They're not made far from here (Mississippi), and they've got a good reputation.
It gets pretty good mileage even towing, (15.7 mpg pulling the G35). Unloaded I consistently get better than 20 mpg highway and have gotten 23 mpg on a longer trip. Many people seem to claim they drink fuel, but not in my experience.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It gets pretty good mileage even towing, (15.7 mpg pulling the G35). Unloaded I consistently get better than 20 mpg highway and have gotten 23 mpg on a longer trip. Many people seem to claim they drink fuel, but not in my experience.
wow, I can’t say anything like that on highway with Tundra. Unloaded, flat, level and a bit of tail wind gave 19mpg at 70. Impressive.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow, I can’t say anything like that on highway with Tundra. Unloaded, flat, level and a bit of tail wind gave 19mpg at 70. Impressive.
Its a nice powertrain for certain. I loved the 420 hp version of the same engine in my ~4,500 lbs M56S Infiniti sedan. 26-28 mpg cruising ~75-80 mph. Problem was you could seldom keep it at those speeds as it wanted to go. That car could cruise effortlessly, well above that and still feel like you were in a normal car or truck running 65.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
The 'burb is doing what it's supposed. My 7.4l K2500 is my favorite vehicle to travel in, pulling a trailer or otherwise. It's like driving a couch.

I drive a 2UZ 4.7L powered 2003 Access Cab Tundra daily. 16mpg back and forth to work, 230k miles, no leaks, no drips, no burning oil. Cab and steering is as tight as it was the day it rolled off the assembly line. Interior is leaps and bounds ahead of GM and Ford for the same time period...before I owned this pickup, Ford had the nicest interior at that time IMO. This is my 3rd Toyota pickup, I get it(also have owned 2 Tacomas). I'm a GM guy from birth, but wow, Toyota engineers must have to work on stuff they create.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 'burb is doing what it's supposed. My 7.4l K2500 is my favorite vehicle to travel in, pulling a trailer or otherwise. It's like driving a couch.

I drive a 2UZ 4.7L powered 2003 Access Cab Tundra daily. 16mpg back and forth to work, 230k miles, no leaks, no drips, no burning oil. Cab and steering is as tight as it was the day it rolled off the assembly line. Interior is leaps and bounds ahead of GM and Ford for the same time period...before I owned this pickup, Ford had the nicest interior at that time IMO. This is my 3rd Toyota pickup, I get it(also have owned 2 Tacomas). I'm a GM guy from birth, but wow, Toyota engineers must have to work on stuff they create.

I know the feeling. My 97 Van is still my favorite vehicle for road trips, but it is also the thirstiest and it runs on premium.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the feeling. My 97 Van is still my favorite vehicle for road trips, but it is also the thirstiest and it runs on premium.
Yes - thirsty! The '99 is great at what it does. And so is the Roadmaster actually - they still do what they were built to do and do it well.

Just fewer large touch screens and worse fuel economy :)