Up early and headed out this morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a chance to put the 3/4 ton to work this morning on a jaunt south to Alexandria. It is the first time I’ve pulled with it like this, probably about 5500#. The c2500 is still a great setup for the job, no complaining from it and no drama at all. I’m impressed, it did as well or better than the much newer Tundra 5.7 that I’ve spent time with.

Don’t tell the Tundra that though …
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Had a chance to put the 3/4 ton to work this morning on a jaunt south to Alexandria. It is the first time I’ve pulled with it like this, probably about 5500#. The c2500 is still a great setup for the job, no complaining from it and no drama at all. I’m impressed, it did as well or better than the much newer Tundra 5.7 that I’ve spent time with.

Don’t tell the Tundra that though …
You must be registered for see images attach
What is that, about a 30'? Looks like from my research it's about as old as the Burb....
Burb is 7.4 or 5.7 or 6.5 TD?

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And now furiously googling that trailer!!! That looks interesting, never seen one like that.
Yeah, HiLo's are neat trailers. HiLo's have got an upper shell that lifts with a hydraulic-cable setup so that you get some better towing characteristics when down ... but you're not saving any weight. They're pretty heavy trailers for their size, especially given what some of the light weight materials are doing these days.

Turns out that the company was as old as Airstream, it just didn't make it through the Great Recession and stopped making them in about 2011 or so. I inherited this one from family after it had suffered some major water damage from a bad roof and window sealing + sitting outside for a few years. I got it solid again, and it's been doing well.
What is that, about a 30'? Looks like from my research it's about as old as the Burb....
Burb is 7.4 or 5.7 or 6.5 TD?
This one is a 2000, 24 footer. ... so yeah - same vintage as the 'burb. It's a 7.4L

I know that I shouldn't be, but I'm sometimes amazed at how well something can do a job it was designed to do, even 25 years on. I don't do as well as I did 25 years ago!

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Chevy that outworks a Toyota? Yeah,that's a given!
Okay, so I really do like the Tundra. Honestly, the reason I got the thing is because I respected the squarebody and GMT400 setups so much. I wanted the most bullet-proof, simple truck that I could find that would start every time and not complain when I asked it to get something done.

In a time of cylinder deactivation, turbos, lots of extra gears and "stuff" there was Tundra. You pay for it with fuel economy, but the thing is bulletproof (heck, they hadn't done anything except make that setup for 15 years!). The new ones with turbos and 3.5L v6 ... I'm not sold. At any rate, that's the story that no one asked for... continue on and please forgive my soft spot for the Toyota 5.7 as needed.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want the most bulletproof,simple truck go find yourself a mid 60's Chevy 1 ton,can't blow 'em up with a grenade.

I've got to beg to differ about the Toyota,if it ain't made in USA,it ain't sh*t.

Just pokin' fun man,it's all good.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a really good article several years ago on trailers, and it was mentioned that the height of the trailer was the biggest aerodynamic problem, and that V-nosed trailers did nearly nothing to resolve it. That HiLo may weigh more, but I'll bet it still gets better gas mileage than towing a lighter v-nosed trailer.

I've also considered building an enclosed car hauler with a pop-up top like that. You could lower it down to the height of the car while towing and then pop it up at the track to use as a work space while the car's out. Seems like a good idea in my head, but I have way too many projects already.