Up early and headed out this morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want the most bulletproof,simple truck go find yourself a mid 60's Chevy 1 ton,can't blow 'em up with a grenade.

I've got to beg to differ about the Toyota,if it ain't made in USA,it ain't sh*t.

Just pokin' fun man,it's all good.
No worries - I laugh at myself sometimes about things like this.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I read a really good article several years ago on trailers, and it was mentioned that the height of the trailer was the biggest aerodynamic problem, and that V-nosed trailers did nearly nothing to resolve it. That HiLo may weigh more, but I'll bet it still gets better gas mileage than towing a lighter v-nosed trailer.

I've also considered building an enclosed car hauler with a pop-up top like that. You could lower it down to the height of the car while towing and then pop it up at the track to use as a work space while the car's out. Seems like a good idea in my head, but I have way too many projects already.
Living in an RV park for the last few years, I've seen a lot of different rigs come through. A few of them have been V front bumper pull trailers, and I've asked the users when possible, did the shape make any difference. Everyone said it did, and one guy with a newer Chevy dually said he got 3-4 mpg better than his old trailer, with this one. But I think the Hi-Lo design would give even greater mileage due to having less wind resistance. You just gotta have something that will tow it, since they're not light by any means.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it works better with the burb because of the smaller gap between the truck and trailer,less space for the air to collapse back in against the front of the trailer. Once the nose of the truck breaks the air the rest just slides right through.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in an RV park for the last few years, I've seen a lot of different rigs come through. A few of them have been V front bumper pull trailers, and I've asked the users when possible, did the shape make any difference. Everyone said it did, and one guy with a newer Chevy dually said he got 3-4 mpg better than his old trailer, with this one. But I think the Hi-Lo design would give even greater mileage due to having less wind resistance. You just gotta have something that will tow it, since they're not light by any means.
You're right about that. The wind resistance is a killer for mpg. It's always hard to compare apples-for-apples but the HiLo profile seems to gain about 2ish mpg. But like you said, it will quickly bring something under-powered to its knees if you point it at a hill :)

Now since the '99 is a 454, the fuel economy just goes from "really awful" with no trailer to "that seems reasonable for towing" with the HiLo attached.