help a girl out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marcell

Reaction score
I have a 1994 gmc step side pretty sure its a 1500 pretty sure its a 5.7 got it at the auction thinking the motor is not the original anyway running great except for minor crack at the top of the radiator wasnt that big deal but I did got get one at the junk yard and replaced and no problems there but having a charging problem it only is putting out about 11 i only have 1 wire coming off the back going to the pos on battery boyfriend says the plug on the back is just for gauges not sure but was wondering because i am a small gall maybe i didnt get the belt tight enough??? it feels tight to me and it turns real good but??? i dont know and i am trying to figure this out because i am left home alone with my dog all day and he never has enough time

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Please try to punctuate your sentences and divide out paragraphs. Its one of our group 'Pet-Peeves' for incoming newby's

To answer your question, It depends on the alternator that is installed. If it is OEM, there should be one large wire going to the battery and another plug with 2 or 4 pins going to energize it. If it is NOT OEM, a common alternator is an old 1970's and 80's GM 1-Wire... I have those in tractors, hot-rod engines, Plow truck 2nd alternator, etc. They are handy because they are so simple. Pictures would help.

GM 1-wire's take a little longer to energize. If you rev your engine to 2-3K for a couple seconds and it pops up to 14V then its a 1-wire.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1994 gmc step side pretty sure its a 1500 pretty sure its a 5.7 got it at the auction thinking the motor is not the original anyway running great except for minor crack at the top of the radiator wasnt that big deal but I did got get one at the junk yard and replaced and no problems there but having a charging problem it only is putting out about 11 i only have 1 wire coming off the back going to the pos on battery boyfriend says the plug on the back is just for gauges not sure but was wondering because i am a small gall maybe i didnt get the belt tight enough??? it feels tight to me and it turns real good but??? i dont know and i am trying to figure this out because i am left home alone with my dog all day and he never has enough time
Plug it in. Why did he not plug it in?
He is to busy to plug a connector into the alternator?
If it is unplugged? How did you determine that it is only outputting 11 volts?
Does he have some bizzare reason for not plugging it in?
The belt uses a spring loaded tensioner.
If it is working it tightens on its own.
Does he know that you are asking questions online or do you feel that you dont want him to know about it.
Is this your only vehicle and are you stuck at home and cant go anywhere untill he decides to fix it?
is he actively trying to repair your truck or does he go fart around with it for a little while and then come up with some new reason why you cant drive it.
I could be wrong and I really do hope that I am wrong
But one of the sure as hell trademark signs of men abusing women is to deny them a way to get the **** out.
The car will always be broken and they will always need to go buy another part and you will always be told that you cant touch it without screwing it up and making it worse.
And they will just keep finding another way to sabotage it
That is how manipulative controlling wife abusers work.
That is dirt common ******* behaviour.
A real man wants his wife to be his lifelong partner and his equal in fending off the worlds nonstop bullshit.
Any real man. any real partner in life would never leave you stranded.
If I came home friday night and my wife told me she had fried the transmission on her car I would be out in the garage pulling it Saturday morning.
I could be wrong, but I think something screwy is going on with a guy who doesnt have enough time to snap a plug into place.
I will help in any way I can.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, please do better at breaking up the word flow....or do you "not have enough time"? Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Being from Oregon, I have met some Washington guys.....They don't even take enough time to use a turn signal or wash a vehicle....It think it's a "head in the clouds" thing.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I just learned something reading this about 1-wire's

I think my local parts shop has these special ones with the self-energizing regulator in-stock because there's so many farmers and such asking for them but that may not be the case in bigger cities or other states.

The best option is if you have the plug from the truck, just get an OEM replacement. Or just plug it in and try if it fits.

And be aware of what thinger2 said! Thats a real possibility with this scenario.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being from Oregon, I have met some Washington guys.....They don't even take enough time to use a turn signal or wash a vehicle....It think it's a "head in the clouds" thing.
Hey now, I'm using the turn signal but it's on the cancel cam because the steering wheel is crooked.

You got me on the washing of the truck though.