TyJags 1999 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyjag

Reaction score
Hello all! I have been on the forum browsing for years, never really posted anything. Figure I better write my story on up to now, I will be using this members thread for my "build". I picked up my 99 suburban about a year ago at the dealership I work at. It was sitting in our junk lot, so I wanted to see what was up with it. I took it on a test drive and fell in love with it. I went to get a price and surprisingly I got it for what they had in it, $500! 500 bucks in Iowa for a rust free body I was already ahead. Got it home checked the brakes, all were new, everything was tight in the front end. It was the GMT400 I was looking for. I have put some money into it, but for the most part it seems the old owner took very good care of it. I have put some work into it, but its still going to be along road to get it to where I want it. I have put plugs, wires, u-joints, slip yoke, and a bearing into the transfer case. When the u-joint locked it ate the bearing in the output of the transfer case. I love to do maintenance so with it having 270,*** on the ticker, I have changed Oil, changed out the auto trac II in the transfer case, trans pan drop and filter change, and changed out fluids in front and rear diff. I have ordered a DUI performance distributor, with the aluminum shaft, to get rid of the crappy plastic distributor. I have had a DUI distributor in my 2001 s10 (4.3 Vortec) for about a year and would recommend it to anybody needing a new distributor. While replacing the distributor I am going to do the intake gaskets (with the fel pro metal gaskets) and delete the egr valve. I would also like to get rid of the crappy "pop it" injectors and swap in the "mpfi" fuel spider. But until that day I am doing some extensive rust prevention. I will be using KBS coatings. Seems like a very good product but I will see this week as I am applying it. Now that I have drug this short Bio of my GMT as far as I can, I will get to the pictures.

My Old truck my dad picked up in 97 (the start of my GMT400 addiction) It was a 1991 z71 tbi 350 thing was my baby. Had a 6inch rough county lift with 35/12.50r15s Unfortunately the Iowa rust took her from us ):
You must be registered for see images attach
She was originally red, this was what I did to her in highschool after I put rust free doors, and a different box on it.

Her is her resting place ):

Her is the DD (2001 s10 my take on a "ss") With ZQ8 S10 wheels.

Now on to the show taker! The day I took her home!

Also to anyone that cares I also am a huge GM W-body fanatic. If there are any Wbody fans on here!

I will ad more photos and recent problems in another post as I have posted way to much on this one post. Thanks all!

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow Suburban owner and a former Iowan! Good looking Burb, S10 looks slick too!
Damn shame about the 91, looked like a damn good truck before the scrapper.

GMT400Tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty good deal on the Suburban. That two-tone with the black and the grey rocker panels and flares looks really nice. The S-10 looks good too.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a nice looking suburban. Same color as mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

spiderjohn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice suburban I also have suburban and I am a W body fan

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tyjag

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes guys! Also awesome looking Suburbans, and GMTs. SpiderJohn what a good looking grand prix! I had a 99 gtp with medium Golf Blue, Iowa winter also took that car from me. I would kill to have it back. Also thanks again guy seems like a awesome forum!

Tyjag

Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody has done a reverse dash swap? From 95-99 to 88-94.

Tyjag

Reaction score
Hi, Guys I have not posted in a while been busy with work. I Have recently ordered a 32" curved led light bar for the suburban. I have not received it yet but I made up my own wiring and switch. I used a "Cargo lamp" switch out of a 1998 Silverado. I hate aftermarket switches and drilling unnecessary holes on the dash. I used 3/8 wire conduit and a relay with a 14 gauge wire (except for from the fuse box to the switch). If you want to know how to wire the switch let me know. I also wanted a indicator light so i modified a cluster light holder soldered some wire on it and stuck it in the drl spot on the cluster . I wanted to look as "factory" as possible.

It still needs cleaned up a little more, but i will have time to do that while I am waiting for the light bar. For the switch power feed I used the radio fuse because it is only a 10 amp fuse.

Last edited:

Tyjag

Reaction score

I also wanted the relay and fuse inside, put them behind the glove box.