Tutorial: 3" Body Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

603 z71

Reaction score
i got a gen 2 k&n cai in my ecsb, does anyone have any ideas how to still make it work with the body lift?

Reaction score
How many of you guys have installed one in your driveway by yourself? I have air tools and am plenty capable. Just wondering if there's any reason I can't do it without any help.
All my pals are as busy with wives/jobs/kids as I am. I barely have time to even do it. I think I'll work on it as I have the time after work. Suggestions?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I did mine before I was a full time mechanic with my arsenal of air tools. I used craftsmen 1/2 drive socket wrench and a number of sockets. Also 2 cans of pb plaster and a long pipe.

zilverado71

Reaction score
Here's my two cents on a 3" body lift of any brand.

WELD in the re-inforcement blocks for the bed.
You MUST use a steering extension.
REPLACE body bushing when installing a lift.
The bed DOES lose it loading capacity. Reason for this is if something heavy in the bed slides during a turn (such as a tree stump) and slams the side of your bed, its hitting at a higher center of gravity and cracking your bed easier. Same concept as using a breaker bar or pipe to get more leverage when loosening a fastener. The farther away, the more leverage. Keep in mind when driving with a load.
3" Lift and minor cranking will clear 35x12.5x17 on 10" wide wheels.
There are 6-8 bolts in the bed depending on your hitch receiver model.
Fan shroud should be split blocked and filled to be installed correctly. Not "trimmed". This takes away all the purpose of a fan.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Here's my two cents on a 3" body lift of any brand.

WELD in the re-inforcement blocks for the bed.
You MUST use a steering extension.
REPLACE body bushing when installing a lift.
The bed DOES lose it loading capacity. Reason for this is if something heavy in the bed slides during a turn (such as a tree stump) and slams the side of your bed, its hitting at a higher center of gravity and cracking your bed easier. Same concept as using a breaker bar or pipe to get more leverage when loosening a fastener. The farther away, the more leverage. Keep in mind when driving with a load. But if you load is sloshing around in the back of your truck you shouldn't be hauling it anyways- be sure to strap everything down. Your capacity is no different. I've hauled 2,000+ lbs. in my BL with no problem or side affects. Body lift or suspension lift, your center of gravity is higher. In fact, it goes up LESS with a BL than it does with a suspension lift because the heaviest components, frame and drivetrain, don't move.
3" Lift and minor cranking will clear 35x12.5x17 on 10" wide wheels. But if you can really fit these or not really depends on your offset more than anything. I had to trim to fit 285 on 10" rims.
There are 6-8 bolts in the bed depending on your hitch receiver model.
Fan shrouds are not even necessary parts, trimming them does not take away from functionality and unless you are high-revving in the dessert in nuetral, you should be fine. People run e-fans and pull their shrouds without any issues, in fact they have improved cooling.

edited

Last edited:

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a 3" bl in my driveway by myself with hand tools. This was my first time and it went pretty easy. I didn't try to do it all in one day bc I also have a wife/kids/job that take most of my time. I did a little at a time, but I also have another truck I can drive while my 2 door is down. Bottom line....you csn do it!

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I installed a 3" bl in my driveway by myself with hand tools. This was my first time and it went pretty easy. I didn't try to do it all in one day bc I also have a wife/kids/job that take most of my time. I did a little at a time, but I also have another truck I can drive while my 2 door is down. Bottom line....you csn do it!

:cheers: we need pics!

My disadvantage is one vehicle... when I do my RCX I can't afford to be down longer than I absolutely need to :nono:

Blazed

The Blazed One
Reaction score
I had 22 stainless steel column skins that go around hotel cement pillars. 11 Pillars in the lobby, 22 skins(they were half wraps. Took them to a scrap yard because the hotel wanted to donate the money to charity.) Wound up being 2340lbs. Plus 4 guys in my truck. Body lift didn't budge. The rear end did get a little squirrely on me though.

Side note the only problem I have with my body lift is sometimes my ECU will throw the code for evaporation gas leak, its because the cap doesn't seal all the way in the winter.

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Just for anybody worried about doing a body lift, there's nothing to worry about. I did my lift in my drive way with just basic tools and by myself. It took me two days but only because I would do a little and stop due to also taking care of my 1 yr old son. I still have to figure out which way I'm going to go about raising the rear bumper.

Here's some before and after pics:

Before
You must be registered for see images attach

After

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just for anybody worried about doing a body lift, there's nothing to worry about. I did my lift in my drive way with just basic tools and by myself. It took me two days but only because I would do a little and stop due to also taking care of my 1 yr old son. I still have to figure out which way I'm going to go about raising the rear bumper.

Here's some before and after pics:

Before

After

This gives me confidence. Mine's scheduled to arrive on Wed and I will have no help so we'll see how that goes.