Turbo acting up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevysrule454

Reaction score
98 chev 6.5l. noticed my turbo was kiking in and out on my last tow . Got so bad it stopped all together. Checked
:pump
:plastic vacume lines
:Wastegate cintroll valve
:Wadtegate itself.
All work fine. So im assuming its either a broken wire before control valve or my ecm is done. Can simeone tell me the advantage of a mechanical wastegate and how it would work with my stock setup. Also what ALL id have to do to install one?

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off your gonna need a boost gauge. Second you should do a google search for 6.5 mechanical waste gate or go over to diesel place .com. That site is dedicated to gm diesels

Chevysrule454

Reaction score
First off your gonna need a boost gauge. Second you should do a google search for 6.5 mechanical waste gate or go over to diesel place .com. That site is dedicated to gm diesels
I am a member of deisel place.com but have forgotten my password and no where i can see is a place to reset it. All i can do is try to apply again but when it sees my only email address i have it says it cant do it. Very frystrating.

Chevysrule454

Reaction score
I am a member of deisel place.com but have forgotten my password and no where i can see is a place to reset it. All i can do is try to apply again but when it sees my only email address i have it says it cant do it. Very frystrating.
Did a little testing today and everything works properly when the engine is cold. Then slowly as it heats up the turbo works less and less then finally it stops altogether with no vacume goung to the wastegate actuator. Even after the actuator solenoid was replaced with a new one. Even more confused now. Still cant get on diesel site.
ANYONE?

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if the solenoid has been replaced and all vacuum line are good, my only guess is that the vacuum is
Shot. A google search will show home made mechanical wastegate with a spring. Very easy to make

Chevysrule454

Reaction score
Well if the solenoid has been replaced and all vacuum line are good, my only guess is that the vacuum is
Shot. A google search will show home made mechanical wastegate with a spring. Very easy to make
Tried it today when the engine was cold and everything worked as it should. The hotter the engine got the later and later the turbo would spin causin more and more black smoke/ no power until the engine was up to temp and the turbo stopped all together. When the motor was cold the orange plastic tube from the pump was reading 25" of vac at idle and 18" from the actuator at idle cold. When i got back home after the turbo not working at all there was 0" vac from the black tube at the actuater and again 25" from the orange /pump hot. ideas/ thoughts?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did a little testing today and everything works properly when the engine is cold. Then slowly as it heats up the turbo works less and less then finally it stops altogether with no vacume goung to the wastegate actuator. Even after the actuator solenoid was replaced with a new one. Even more confused now. Still cant get on diesel site.
ANYONE?

Just looked around a little over at Diesel Place, they have a "Contact" page where you can send them a message to reset your password. Here's the link.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sendmessage.php