Tuning other than blackbear??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used blackbear for basic tweaks within the programming of the original PCM. I shipped my PCM to them and the truck was down for 2 weeks. After, I followed their schedule as to when they do in person tuning. They may hit an area near you once a year. This is when you get personal attention for a custom tune. I found this to be the cheapest option for tuning. Especially with their military discount, it was way cheaper that any other option.
If your building a one off monster, the tuning, time and expertise needed isn't possible on a discounted service. (my opinion)
I define "one off" as changing the mechanicals enough that the stock PCM program won't keep it running. Best to work with a speed shop.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may want to look around and see if there are any local shops with a dyno that can help you. Many of them have HPTuners and/or EFIlive and will be able to get you a much better tune in person with the truck rather than mailing ECMs back and forth to iterate setups. I'm sure blackbear can get you close, but it's just the nature of mail order tunes unless they're having you do a lot of logging and such. Even then, it's usually easier on a dyno.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive used BBP since he first started back 15 years ago. He has gotten slower on replys tho which can put you in a bind.
Why no invest in tuning software and do your own tuning? Thats how i got started back in 2004. Nobody around knew how to tune LS stuff back then and i had a turbo and a 4L80e i had to figure out how to make work.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used blackbear for basic tweaks within the programming of the original PCM. I shipped my PCM to them and the truck was down for 2 weeks. After, I followed their schedule as to when they do in person tuning. They may hit an area near you once a year. This is when you get personal attention for a custom tune. I found this to be the cheapest option for tuning. Especially with their military discount, it was way cheaper that any other option.

Just FYI for anyone else looking, this is only an option if you have a '98+. The only service Black Bear offers for the '96-'97 black box PCMs is their traditional mail order tune.

4x4vanguy

Reaction score
I've attempted to contact them numerous times. Took 5 weeks to get a one sentence email response. I'll shop elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 weeks for me to get a template answer from Blackbear Performance. Should have been a tip off. I have an issue with engine codes for things that should be deleted and NO RESPONSE. Dose not matter if your busy you should take care of ALL READY PAID CUSTOMERS.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried to get hold of MJ Engineering and after a week nothing heard. They have a FB page but it hasn't been updated since 2015 so presumably they're no longer in the business. I'll be going local with Granite State Dyno Tune. They seem more focused on performance cars than what I'll be doing but they were familiar with it when I called them. And they're local.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a good thread. I've been using BB for 10yrs or so, and I have their autocal. They have tuned 3 vehicles, and I just ordered another tune for a new addition to my OBS fleet. Overall, I've gotten quality tunes and pretty good customer service; though they are pretty slow these days. I purchased a tune for an 0411 swap, and a year later upgraded to 24x with cam. BB provided a new tune for free. It has taken some back and forth to get that 24x tune dialed in, and it has taken time; but it is for no extra charge. FWIW, I've been waiting several months for latest update on the 24x tune.

Only 1 local dyno tuner will attempt my 0411/24x/5.7L/4l60e setup, and he wants $850. I'm kinda cheap, and definitely low time preference; so BB is working for me.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Anyone used pcm4less?
I have. dude was quick with communication and even took my calls. When he got my pcm he called me to go over the checklist n 3 days later i had it back in my truck. Think total was around $150? Im not 100% on price but included the shipping and return shipping. I dealt with the dude from Akron. Lil over hour from my house but i went with shipping instead of the drive.