Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94LowRider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It always started right up, drove it to get breakfast, shut it off came out 1/2 hr later it wouldn't start. At 1st I thought it jumped time, because it cranks Fast but I have a 950 CCA battery. I checked compression on 2 cylinders, both at 150lbs. Truck has 230,000 miles on it but well maintained. I'm wondering if it could be the pickup in the distributor or the coil that's bad. Check engine light is ON Steady, but NOT flashing. Its a 94 Silverado 4.3. Any help, or past experience is appreciated.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
(headslap!) Yea! That stuff! ^^^ Air, spark, fuel.

On my phone. Previous post = Quickie drive-by! I'll explain in 'Chat'.

94LowRider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try to chk spark this week when I go to work, the truck is in my wharehouse 60 miles away from home.
Where do you check the fuel pressure ? Also should you be able to hear the fuel pump running ALL the time if the key is on ?
I did spray a little ether in the throttle body and it did not try to fire.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'll try to chk spark this week when I go to work, the truck is in my wharehouse 60 miles away from home.
Where do you check the fuel pressure ? Also should you be able to hear the fuel pump running ALL the time if the key is on ?
I did spray a little ether in the throttle body and it did not try to fire.

Usually, auto parts stores will loan you the gauge and things you need to check fuel pressure. I think you just tap in to the line right by the fuel filter (inside the frame rail under the driver's side door).

If you aren't getting spark, I would check the ignition control module. Does it end up starting at all, or is it just dead? Mine had an intermittent starting issue that I'm pretty sure is the ICM just going bad. I need to replace it, but if none of the cylinders are firing, I'd start there.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
As stated start with spark. If it doesn't appear strong or is erratic pull the distributor cap and see if there's any moisture. If you don't get ANY spark it's probably the Ignition module. But, before you go replacing it check the pickup coil (the round thing between the rotor mount pad and the ignition module). Unplug it and get an ohmmeter and test the two pin connector. I think you should see somewhere between 600-1500 ohms if I remember correctly. If the spark is good then it's probably fuel related.

When you turn the key the pump will only prime for a couple seconds, then shut off. And yes, the easiest place to install a gauge is where the filter is along the frame. You will probably have to have someone look for you or turn the key while you see what the gauge is reading. You might not get a true reading if you try and do it yourself (turning the key and getting out of the truck to see what the gauge reads). You should be getting 10-13 psi.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going through some issues on my truck as well...

When checking the fuel pressure, when the pump primes I get a reading of about 11psi, then it drops to nothing.

Should the pressure hold before starting the truck?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez