Truck Studdering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Spark plugs. I am returning the Bosch spark plugs because they are still under warranty. They actually no longer make that type of plug anymore and I have a pretty good feeling I know why, because they do not work

That's good you got 'er figured out. Can't stress enough not to cheap out on plugs.

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be intermittent coil issues. Timing shouldnt be off unless you moved the distributor which you shouldn't have for replacing a cap.

I had same problem a few years ago and it was the ignition control module. I took it off and the parts store can test them. If I remember correct he said if there is a white dot on it some where its bad. I ended up doing a super tune up, lol I changed plugs, wires , cap, rotor, ignition coil, control module, and crank sensor. After that she ran like beast. But check control module first, it's next to the coil take it off and check the dot on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...vehicleIdSearch=40754&isAllVehicle=false#

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

zilverado71

Reaction score
Process of elimination bro;
Sorted by time and expense;
Graphing scanner says what?
Got gas in it?
Everything and EVERYTHING plugged in under the hood?
Air filter good condition?
Injectors have a nice, swirl pulse to them? Not all ty and sloppy.
Vacuum lines all quiet, sealed, not hairline cracked??
Spray starting fluid around valve covers with engine running, not sucking air through the heads?
Not running with a horrid exhaust leak letting the smoke out of any wires?
Block AND heads AND battery AND transmission all grounded?
Fuel pressure 7-13psi?
Compression over 90 on all 8 and not over 15 apart from eachother?
Spark is sparking on all 8?
Timing is good?
CRITICAL--- Spark TIMING is good? This is DIFFERENT than simply cam+crank in sync.. a bad pickup star (or fractured) inside the distributor will f*ck this all up.
TEST your distributor.. GM has a process for this, research it. It involves a scanner.
Don't assume its the ECU if you can't figure it out. If all those things I mentioned are good, the only thing the ECU could f*ck up is injector pulse timing. A very elite graphing scanner can see this on your truck, most people don't have that though. You can blindly swap a ECU into it if you want. I made that mistake, and ended up keeping the ECU as a spare.
Did you use fuel injector cleaner in your truck? This can free up dirt in the fuel system but it WILL get stuck in the injectors.

Be sure to rule out o2, EGR, IATS, CTS. All these will not create a problem... THAT severe.

Guess I didn't read all the article to see you got it fixed before posting. Hope this helps anyone else out. Always always ALWAYS buy ACDelco plugs....

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put NGK plugs in everything I ever had. From 454s to leaf blowers. I don't use anything else. I had a problem with one plug in 12 years. Pretty good odds.