Truck Studdering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
cant use timing lights.....i already did that in the past and got it all screwed up. timing is all done by the PCM. only thing you can adjust is the cam retard, but you gotta have a scanner to do this. if the dizzy is installed correctly is should read 0* +/-2 . if you dont have that then it needs to be adjusted. (+) meaning advance (-) meaning retarded.
Ah I'm on Tapatalk I can't see his sig to see what he has. Yeah if you have a vortec check for a worn distributor gear, pretty common problem. The timing thing like I said is for TBI only.
We have already got this sorted out I didn't know he had vortec. My advice was for a TBI motor

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Check to see if the retainer bolt for the distributor itself is loose. I had that happen on a 305 Vortec one time, went to pull off the distributor cap and noticed the whole distributor moved a little, without much resistance. Long shot, but you never know.
Otherwise, distributor caps seem to be an extremely common problem with Vortecs for some reason. I put two in my old truck in two years or so.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I will look into the distributor cap and distributor to see what is going on and if anything is loose. It was throwing a code when this happened.

Would this explain the studdering at 55 mph? I know this will solve the problem of it running like crap, but the studdering seemed like a different problem. Maybe in the trans? RPMs were fine when it studdered and didn't throw a code then.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
It's a pretty common problem with vortec motors and its usually just a worn distributor gear. Probably not your transmission unless its throwing a code for it.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had a studder and misfire when driving mine as well i replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, try checking the distributor rotor. they typically get carbon built up on em mine was pretty bad.

removed dist cap and its right under it id try replacing that if you havent, less the 10$ part.

after i replaced all of the above mines been running pretty good, matter a fact shes breakin the tires loose from a takeoff at a dead stop (normally it didnt do it)

my plugs looked like theyd never been replaced but ya id check the distributor rotor by pulling the cap off and id just swap it out

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I removed the distributor cap and rotor and everything looked good. No carbon build up on them at all. I am thinking it is a worn distributor gear. Any write-up or info on how to properly replace one?