Truck stalling, not starting and sputtering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my truck has been damn near bullet proof for some time now. I was driving around all morning and into the afternoon. Around 2:30ish (time isnt important) I stopped for gas. The tank was a little lower than the 1/4 tank mark, but just barely. I filled as normal and then hopped in. It cranked over like the fuel pump hadnt primed yet and didnt start. I let it prime for a second or two and it still didnt start until i hit the gas pedal. Ok, just a wierd start, continue on my way. Well I get to the road (still in the gas station parking lot) and it dies on me and again wont start. Finally I get it to crank over and rev the motor to 3k rpm. She is plenty warm so its not to huge an issue. It runs fine as I get to kfc, go through the drive thru and start home. So I figure its just a bit of bad gas, maybe some air in the line (dont ask me how that would work) but its running fine now and no loss of power or anything strange. I turn onto my road and it start bucking and sputtering like its running out of gas. Its also acting like it did in the begining of the winter when I had ice in the lines. Well the truck has been running all day, so the ice in the lines is out. Water in the gas I picked up would VERY unlikely been there right away, but maybe the previous tank had some crap in it. So after it stalled out on me trying to limp home, restarting it and getting home. I added some methyl hydrate to the tank as a "if it is water or ice, this will fix it" move and then came inside.

Im on some new medication from the Dr's and the side effects are kicking my ass today so I havent done any kind of trouble shooting like checking for spark or fuel pressure, but I have tried starting it since and its just cranking. All of my gauges read normal when the truck is running. I'm hoping to get some kind of thoughts on what to look at first. The truck has a new fuel pump and filter as of december and new plugs and wires as of november.

Any thoughts?

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I dont care how recently a fuel pump was installed. So much is demanded from these fuel pumps, its no wonder they last as long as they do!

IIWY, I would check fuel pressure and check fuel volume too. Check also to see if there are any stored check engine light codes.

Also dont rule out air. Check your air filter for any restrictions

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because you can "HEAR" the pump, does not mean it is pushing enough pressure...Or volume for that matter...