Truck sputtered, backfired, now wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigjzoe83

Reaction score
It's the module under the distributor cap
I had the same thing happen on my 90 I thought it was timing out cuz every now and then it would sputter and then backfire but what it is the thermal compound under them dries up and they short out I think it's called the ignition module auto zone has it and what I do is go to best buy and get high grade thermal compound and it works better than the other stuff and also on the 95 and up ecms u can redo the thermal compound on them as well if anyone is having overheating ecm issues

ThaEdge

Reaction score
Driving home from tractor supply today, truck (5.7 TBI) sputtered twice, started backfiring like crazy.. i pulled over before a big curve. It died just before i got it completely off road. It will crank but not start / turn over now. Where should i begin / key spots? Oil pressure / level & engine temp were good. Over 1/2 tank of gas. Im almost positive i saw some blue smoke shooting out tailpipe when it was backfiring.

I plan on checking fuel relay, injectors first . Just what comes to mind
Mine did this about a coupe of years ago. They are notorious for eating the distributer gear. You described exactly what mine did! Replace the distributor. My cam gear was perfectly fine and most people say they didn't see any damage on the cam.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So im
Def not a mechanic by any means, but these motors are simple enough to work on / enough room. I did replace the distributor about 2 yrs ago. Plan on pulling distributor cap anyway tho to check the icm; how do you test either one ? Youtube vids are clear as mud

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan on pulling distributor cap anyway tho to check the icm; how do you test either one ?
Connect a grounded spark tester calibrated for HEI on the DISTRIBUTOR end of the coil wire.
My favorite kind of spark-tester--one for HEI, one for points or electronic ignitions that use a ballast resistor. HEI style has a longer path for the spark--longer arc:
You must be registered for see images attach

Recessed center electrode on HEI spark tester:

Remove 2-wire pickup coil connector from module. This is a pain in the tuckus on TBI distributors.

Turn on ignition.

Use a test light or jumper wire connected to battery + to touch the module terminal. There are two terminals, you want the one connected to the GREEN wire. TBI module terminals are hidden under the pickup coil, they're a real pain to get to. Every time you REMOVE the jumper wire from the module terminal, you should get a spark. The test light may or may not light up--not important. The spark is important.

^^^ This tests the module, ignition coil, coil wire, and some of the associated vehicle wiring harness. If you DO NOT get a spark, it can be a failure of any of those components. This test does NOT verify the ECM, ECM harness, or pickup coil.

I don't have photos of doing this with a TBI distributor. The only photos I have are from the much-older 4-pin module HEIs.

Alternative method
--Tests pickup coil along with module, ignition coil, coil wire, and the associated vehicle wire harness:

Remove distributor cap.
Leave pickup coil CONNECTED to ignition module.
Connect grounded spark tester to DISTRIBUTOR end of coil wire.
Turn on ignition.
Get a BIG soldering iron--450 watts or bigger--and put the main body of it near the pickup coil.
Pull trigger on soldering iron for ONE SECOND. You should get a series of sparks (60, approximately) while the soldering iron trigger is pulled. Done properly, the soldering iron will not even get hot.

Note that most folks don't have a big enough soldering gun.

Ideally, all this testing is done while the ignition coil is already hot from running the engine. This is not a requirement, but a recommendation.

NEITHER of these tests will verify EVERY feature of the ignition system. It will prove that the system is capable of generating strong spark, but does not verify the adaptive dwell, electronic spark advance, etc. A module can make reliable spark, but still fail to work 100% properly.

Last edited:

NETFREEE

Reaction score
My 98 Sierra C2500 5.7 did the same thing- sprayed ether and internal combustion backfire occurred- towed it home- Dis some prelim research- discovered the Spider injectors were shot- Purchased new from Oreilly-Fixed!