Truck shakes bad over 60mph?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you have the aluminum driveshaft with black wrap, it may be split and opening up at high speeds.

Also, you may have water inside the aluminum driveshaft, especially if you use a boat launch.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try to take some pictures of anything that looks out of order or I'm not sure about.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Again, dont drive it until you check u-joints, if you wear into the yoke that can be a $1000 rear end rebuild, Or worst case scenario you can drop the front of the driveshaft going down the highway and pogo-stick the truck and total it out and possible hurt/kill somebody.

Put the truck in neutral and block the tires from moving then crawl under the truck and try to move the driveshaft around... twist it, shake it, etc and make sure it doesn't move. if it does, check where its moving from.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Again, dont drive it until you check u-joints, if you wear into the yoke that can be a $1000 rear end rebuild, Or worst case scenario you can drop the front of the driveshaft going down the highway and pogo-stick the truck and total it out and possible hurt/kill somebody.

Put the truck in neutral and block the tires from moving then crawl under the truck and try to move the driveshaft around... twist it, shake it, etc and make sure it doesn't move. if it does, check where its moving from.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Got home and took a video. Chucked the wheels and put it in neutral and this was the result. Is this the problem? Did some reading and I found that a worn joint also has symptoms of making a solid clapping sound when changing gears and mine does this going in and out of reverse. Not sure if that's true or not.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyways, been having this problem for awhile but I'll to take this truck to college (4 hours away) and this needs to get resolved. After I hit speeds anywhere above 60 mph be it cruise control or not, the thing will randomly start shaking pretty violently. It's almost as if it's trying to shift but can can't lock in a gear. I have to either mash the throttle to drop a gear or let off the gas to slow down and stop whatever its trying to do. It won't resolve the shake on its own I have to do one or the other. Whenever it's gets up to 80-90 it's pretty much a consistent shake and my speedometer starts spazzing out jumping from 70 to pegged. It shatters my gas mileage too.

Was the torque converter replaced/rebuilt with the transmission? None of what you posted really sounds like tires to me, and your u-joints don't look to have much play.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a friend who works for NAPA. His job is to travel to the various shops, and act as a technical resource person, as well as to sell NAPA branded brake and chassis parts. He told me that in the entire automobile business, brakes and mufflers are about the highest profit items.

Brakes are pretty simple to do, the tools are cheap, and you have the satisfaction of knowing what parts went in, and that it was done right.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was the torque converter replaced/rebuilt with the transmission? None of what you posted really sounds like tires to me, and your u-joints don't look to have much play.
Not a clue man it was so long ago.:shrug:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
your videos show that your u-joints are still good, you have a little play in the ring and pinion but not too bad. That would account for the clunking going from reverse to drive. Before too long you might want to change diff fluid and inspect those gears but I dont think thats the problem you are having right now.

I'm going to jump on the tire balancing bandwagon. A weight might have fallen off causing your vibration. And its the next cheapest thing to rule out.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I'm going to jump on the tire balancing bandwagon. A weight might have fallen off causing your vibration. And its the next cheapest thing to rule out.
This. My suburban used to shake really violently at freeway speeds (65+ MPH). To give you an idea of how violent it shook, it felt like we were driving on a wheel shaped like this:
You must be registered for see images attach
Turns out a couple wheel weights got knocked off the wheels. Now that I got new tires and balanced the wheels, the shake is no longer there.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This. My suburban used to shake really violently at freeway speeds (65+ MPH). To give you an idea of how violent it shook, it felt like we were driving on a wheel shaped like this:
You must be registered for see images attach
Turns out a couple wheel weights got knocked off the wheels. Now that I got new tires and balanced the wheels, the shake is no longer there.
That describes it better than any way I ever could have ever worded it. Sounds like the culprit. I'll see if I can get that done here in a few days. I guess it makes sense now that gassing it or letting off will change the speed and loose the shake for a bit.

I'll report back soon, thanks everyone for your help, love this site.

Last edited: