Truck shakes bad over 60mph?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1993 5.7 350 auto with 162K on stock motor and an unknown amount on 3rd transmission. Pretty far over 100K though. Maybe roughly 110-140K. Happened back in the mid 90s and pops can't remember the exact mileage.

Anyways, been having this problem for awhile but I'll to take this truck to college (4 hours away) and this needs to get resolved. After I hit speeds anywhere above 60 mph be it cruise control or not, the thing will randomly start shaking pretty violently. It's almost as if it's trying to shift but can can't lock in a gear. I have to either mash the throttle to drop a gear or let off the gas to slow down and stop whatever its trying to do. It won't resolve the shake on its own I have to do one or the other. Whenever it's gets up to 80-90 it's pretty much a consistent shake and my speedometer starts spazzing out jumping from 70 to pegged. It shatters my gas mileage too.

What could be the problem? Makes taking the interstate a bear. Other than that though it runs like a top.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
If the front and rear tires are the same, rotate them.
While you have the front wheels off, inspect the brakes. Secure a helper to wiggle the steering wheel while you observe the front suspension.
Most likely a tire /balance problem, brake issue, or front suspension. Probably fairly easy to determine by looking. If it's in the tire than it will follow with rotation but it's probably the idler arm.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
I'd start with an alignment and a tire rotation/balance along with the other suggestions. Don't forget to see if a weight fell off the drive shaft too.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How would I go about checking u-joints and a drive shaft weight? Im a little more relieved now though since it doesn't sound like the transmission to you fellas.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
The drive shaft has weights stuck to it to balance, you'd have to see if there is any fresh looking metal somewhere which would indicate that one fell off. Look up some videos on you tube on how to check u joints. Basically checking for play.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going with a balance issue too. If the wheels and tires have not been balanced for a while, I'd just go to a tire shop and get it done. Not expensive, and usually makes a nice difference.

On another car, I had my driveshaft straightened and balanced when I had new U Joints installed. What a difference that made in the smoothness of the truck.

If those two items do not fix the problem, I'm left with the thought that it might be front end (suspension) wear issues.

Good luck on this one, and post the results.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem I will let you guys know what the fix it is. Its already going to the shop soon for brakes so hopefully this will get resolved soon.