Truck Runs for a couple minutes, then Dies. WTF!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Brown stuff looks like rust dust but I wouldn't expect the same where thing on the underside of the cap. Yep, ****** A1 Cardoitagain parts. I slapped a similar looking dizzy in my truck, wonder if I'll get two years out of it.. Amazing that the OEM stuff lasted 25+ years and 200k+ miles but you can't even get 5 years or 100k out of replacement parts. Why I hate aftermarket, there are no standards or specs. So is it running now?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I had to order it at O'reilys, there was only 1 available in the state. should be running sunday, If all goes well.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Well Bought brand new distributor, probably could of salvaged the rotor and cap, but screw it, I bought a new cap and rotor, Timed the truck, let it idle and idle still running great, took it for a little ride around the block, parked it....held the revs up a little bit (mildly) and stutter back fire, dead!!!!!

I dont know guys, Any help is appreciated, I think its a spark issue, I took the other Ignition control module I previously took off, and It tested good.

Would the Ignition Coil act this way?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well Bought brand new distributor, probably could of salvaged the rotor and cap, but screw it, I bought a new cap and rotor, Timed the truck, let it idle and idle still running great, took it for a little ride around the block, parked it....held the revs up a little bit (mildly) and stutter back fire, dead!!!!!

I dont know guys, Any help is appreciated, I think its a spark issue, I took the other Ignition control module I previously took off, and It tested good.

Would the Ignition Coil act this way?
The coil certainly can act that way. Certainly the more common items are the ignition module in the pickup coil in the distributor itself. Obviously both of those are new and they shouldn't be bad but it's always possible. Either way whatever is happening is breaking down when it's hot. Unfortunately you can't get them hot and test them at the same time typically.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
the Coil I have on there is from ACCEL, and they seem to have a bad reputation as of lately.

I tried starting it later last night, once cooled down, and it wouldnt start.... unfortunately the lady aint having me working on the truck today

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody

Ill Look into the Coil tomorrow:burnout:

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Checked the Coil For spark, nothing, So I bought a new Coil and installed it......... nothing, watching the TBI Injectors get fuel, gotta be a spark issue.

Anyone know what to check next?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I dunno man.. Try disconnecting the tan wire with the black stripe that's behind the "beauty cover" to see if it runs with that disconnected. Something about the computer/dizzy thing going to a default mode with it disconnected that might let it run or at least help you troubleshoot the thing. When my dizzy died (I know you just replaced yours but..) My truck wouldn't idle below 1,500 rip'ems. However, when I disconnected that wire as if I was going to set the timing, viola, it idled no problem. Lucky for me, I dropped a new dizzy in and haven't had any problems with it.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I disconnected the wire to set the timing and nothing.

my test light is a piece of ****, im gonna head to the auto parts store and get a new one and see if im getting power to the coil. probably should of done that before I got a new coil:Boo::flame:

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
OK, So disconnected the grey connector from the coil. it has power going into the Coil. the black connector has power coming out of the coil, going into the ignition control module.

I unplugged the other connector on the Ignition Control Module and check the connector for power, there wasnt any....... its got 4 wires I believe.

Should there be power coming out of the other side of the ignition control module? should the connector show power going in?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Ah man, you're asking me to go look at my shop manuals... I'll be able to look at those tonight but I think they're for an '88 so some of the stuff might be different.

I've always checked for spark the old fashioned hill-billy way but an easier, shock free method might just be to have some one crank the thing while you sit with your finger on the timing light and see if it flashes. Advantage to the old way though is you can see how healthy the spark is.