Truck Runs for a couple minutes, then Dies. WTF!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else experienced this. I gotta 91 C3500 with 7.4L truck died out of no where on the freeway, I noticed the catalytic converter was clogged, so I towed her home, Hollowed it out and hooked up a heated 02 sensor.

anyways I drove her for about 5 minutes and it died on me again, If it cools down a little, it will start, run for 2 minutes tops, and then just Die..

Checked engine codes, Nothing....

anyone else have a similar experience? what was the problem?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What 89RCLB said. While mine have always just flat out **** their pants & split, anything is possible. One died in a way where the truck would run without the connector on the firewall plugged in.. Anyway, also see if the thing is feeding it fuel, worth checking simple things first. With someone cranking it over you should see the TB spraying fuel at the throttle blades, if not, snort some starting fluid down the holes & see if she goes.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Sounds like Ignition Control Module failure...was in my case anyhow. They get hot and give it up.

Usually I would respond with, changed ignition control module 2 years ago, but ive already had multiple replacement part failures, I was thinking the same thing waiting for a tow truck.

What 89RCLB said. While mine have always just flat out **** their pants & split, anything is possible. One died in a way where the truck would run without the connector on the firewall plugged in.. Anyway, also see if the thing is feeding it fuel, worth checking simple things first. With someone cranking it over you should see the TB spraying fuel at the throttle blades, if not, snort some starting fluid down the holes & see if she goes.

I was next to a walmart and went in and bought starter fluid, sprayed it down the TB while my kid cranked it over, Nothing.... but when it cools down, fires right up.

Is there a way to test an Ignition control module, so I know for sure thats it? and it only fails when its hot.

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Well, it's probably getting fuel then but be sure the injectors are actually misting the stuff down the holes. Our Mark VII died and it failed in such an awesome way it took the spark and fuel with it...

Aftermarket parts a crap, two years seems like an eternity from my experience. Why I go to yards and hoard OEM stuff..

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Yea, perfect spray down the holes, TBI was rebuilt about a year ago and the injectors were flow matched.

Its pathetic how many replacement parts have been short lived on this truck, for the short amount of time ive owned it.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might try just cleaning the old "thermal paste" off of your ICM and dizzy plate and put some new paste on it. I got a ton of miles out of doing exactly this with one of my trucks and it was still functioning correctly when I sold the truck lol

You can probably get Arctic Silver 5 CPU thermal paste from Best Buy...don't use dielectric grease, it will work but won't last as long as CPU thermal paste.

Your mileage may vary!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Honestly after this and the new registration fees in California, this truck is good as gone in a few months, I drive it daily (when its running) and I cant trust it. my uncle offered to sell me his 95 for super cheap, so Ill keep the thermal paste in mind when I do the tune up.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Popped the cap, and for being on there for almost 2 and half years, its pretty filthy in my opinion
You must be registered for see images attach

Rotor is really dirty

theres a chip in the distributor gear, I dont remember being there 2 years ago

all that brown dust doesent seem normal to me, Is it Oil Vapor getting through the Distributor?

any Ideas?

I replaced the pickup coil(it was falling apart), cap and rotor and a new ignition control module, 2 years ago, maybe I should of replaced the whole unit.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Distributor shaft is garbage. Ordered a new distributor, Oreilys had the bottom half of a Cardone Reman (minus cap and rotor)