Transmission Thermostat Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 96 K1500 I added OEM cooler this past summer. It’s 30 degrees here and I’ve been driving for over an hour on highway and temperature is steady at 105.
You must be registered for see images attach
Now, I’m getting this reading from sensor added at transmission test port. I know this is not the best for accurate temperature but that’s what I got. Does this seem unreasonably low?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup.

The flow may be stagnant at that test port, and you'd have "cold" air blowing on the trans case. So, yes, not the best place to sense temperature.

However, 105 still seems low to me. I'd expect 170+ in the pan, and I bet you aren't that hot there.

Consider re-routing the cooler plumbing so that the radiator tank "cooler" can warm the fluid just before it flows back to the trans. (And/Or blocking off the additional cooler in winter. A scrap of cardboard would do it, even if just for testing purposes.)

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll try the cardboard on the way home. Although it’s a bit warmer anyway, I won’t get that 1/1 comparison. But warmer hopefully!