External Transmission cooler add on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On my girls 1990 K2500 with the 5.7 and 700R4 transmission, we are going to get a smaller 2 axle trailer for weekends, either a conversion or from a manufacturer. The radiator is like new and I did just run all steel transmission cooler lines. With the trailer weight of approximately 5k to 6k loaded, I plan to give the transmission every chance I can. It is not the original transmission. It was replaced by a GM dealer in state of Washington, in 2012 at approximately 110k miles. It is close to 123k miles now.

When I took over work on this truck about 20 months ago, I did a transmission filter and fluid change. I did not do a flush and it all looked pristine in there. I now want to install an external transmission cooler and am reaching out to members here to get ideas of a good made cooler, fit and function, and if there is anything special I need to know. It all looks very straight forward but there is a reason I am a member and I will use info from you all.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
go to the junk yard and grab one of these new ones might be able to be found online also there is plenty of after market options that are good
You must be registered for see images attach

99xcss4

Reaction score
I have only seen the aux oil cooler on diesels do not know if you could get them on gas or not should not be hard to ad on I would think also a 454 radiator 9 or 11 blade fan would be a good idea I think you can use a 454 fan clutch as well but I am not 100% on that I know a diesel one will not fit because I tried to put one on a 454 and it did not fit

99xcss4

Reaction score
I am shore that you know this but for the people that do not know when you add aux coolers you are just extending the cooling loop you come out of your transmission into your radiator out of your radiator into your aux cooler out of your aux cooler back to your transmission engine oil works the same way if you have one the power steering can be plumbed a few ways if you have hydra-boost or not if you do not have hydra-boost it goes on the return side of the pump I do not know if it matters or not what spot on the steering gear box it goes if you have s hydra-boost I do not I do not know how it is plumbed

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
That cooler bracket comes on any truck/suburban that had it as an option. My '98 K 1500 Suburban came with one. DO NOT USE a junk yard cooler!! They are plate type coolers and they cannot be flushed with any certainty that they are clean. Spend the money on a new one. The M7B can be found on Amazon for a fair price. Jegs and Summit have them but at a hgher price.

Rock auto has the GM cooler lines for the aux cooler from time to time.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember a thread on the forum showing an install with the MB7 and using factory brackets that were trimmed slightly and using factory lines.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I seem to remember a thread on the forum showing an install with the MB7 and using factory brackets that were trimmed slightly and using factory lines.
That is exactly what I did on the Suburban, I went from the short factory unit to the M7B. I modified the top factory bracket that way the factory lines fit with out any mods or fitting iisues.