Towing a camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowman

Reaction score
I hauled a small (8') slide in for a 3200km trip in January. It worked just fine. Didn't bog down on hills, and was quite stable. Didn't feel top heavy. Also I can take this hunting in September and tow the trailer with the quad and bar-be-que.

You must be registered for see images attach

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a slide in camper as well as a bumper pull 97 1/2 ton 4x4 my bumper pull is 23 foot and I put my dirtbike and four wheeler in the bed and 65 mph we go. I use a equalizing hitch but no bags or adda leafs. I wouldnt be scared of any thing under 27 foot bumper pull. Anddont blink an eye at a slide in.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a picture somewhere of a half ton with a slide in camper. He got away with it for a couple years till it got hit with a crosswind and threw it on its side, truck and all.

Our half tons are not designed for hauling, especially top heavy sail.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
It doesn't matter what truck or camper/trailer combination you have, the wrong conditions will have very negative consequences. A completely stock 1/2ton truck can tow a small travel trailer or small & light slide in camper no problem. Trailers under 20' shouldn't be a problem, particularly if they are newer as they weigh much less than the older ones by about 1,000-2,000 LBS. There are a few slide in campers out there sub 1,000 LBS as well. Trailers are generally a safer bet since you can get load distributing, sway control hitches and have trailer brakes.

Now, properly equipped, a 1/2ton can carry/tow more. Upgrading the springs or adding airbags, and having higher load rated tires is one of the first steps to accomplish this. Beyond that, axle, gear, transmission etc are next.

I have a "1/2ton" truck that I tow with. But, mine is beyond a 1/2ton at this point: upgraded springs, airbags, 1-ton SRW 14bolt, NV4500 transmission, and a 454. I regularly tow my 78 nomad which is around 5,000LBS loaded. I also haul about 800LBS of gear in the bed. The combination is over 12k once said and done. From the outside it could seem that I'm overloaded, but the truck's been built to accomplish it.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Legally you are overloaded. If you ever get in a wreck, i gurantee that will become an issue. Its a great build, and very capable, but legally its still limited to the factory VIN load rating.

Nice setup tho.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Actually I'm generally within my legal limits.

My truck is titled with 6,000 GVWR, and a scale (curb) weight of 4364. I know my actual weight of the truck is around 5,000 after my modifications plus myself, fuel and tools in it. Add in the quads at 285LBS each. Truck is at 5570LBS which leaves a little wiggle room before the 6,000 mark. Factor in the tongue weight (approx 450 LBS) and i'm pushing right against the 6,000LBS mark.

My truck is rated, stock, to tow 6,500LBS. My trailer, stock scales at 4,400 LBS. With gear, food and water it's 5,500LBS. Mind you, this is prior to my tongue extension, toolbox and the gear in the tongue box, which actually will bring it up closer to 5,700 LBS.

Last time I ran over the scales (same trip as the picture above) I was running it about 11,880. A later trip I was running a little heavier, just a few LBS over 12,000 due to bringing other people's gear and some firewood in the trailer.

95% of the trips don't have the quads, which drops about 560 LBS out of the truck. They basically make or break me being legally over or under. I've actually planned on spending some time to weigh the truck, tongue and trailer separately one of these days, just have to find the time.

Now, would I haul this setup when my truck was completely stock? No.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
It also depends on how far you are pulling it.. unless your truck is a 454/5 speed SAS'd 1500 like 88GMCTrucks i wouldn't think it would be safe or smart to haul a lot with it.. It's going to be hard on your truck and it's not really meant for it. I'd recommend a spring overload kit and definitely keeping your truck out of OD if you were going to try it, but be careful of the weight with the State Troopers. Give yourself a excuse to buy a 2500/3500 single axle : )

CameronB97

Reaction score
They do make half ton campers, but they are very expensive. And what the dealer says is a 1/2 ton camper, should really be hauled with a 3/4. Same with the 3/4 tons. My father just recently bought a short-bed Lance camper with a slide, and they said that it is designed for 3/4 tons. While the 2003 2500HD Silverado will haul it, it is really scary when you hit a little bit of wind. It would be better with airbags, but it really needs a 1 ton under it. Just remember, the dealer is trying to sell a camper, so he'll stretch the truth a little bit for you to buy it. But in all seriousness, I wouldn't put a camper on a 1/2 ton. You are usually overweight, and with a small gust of wind with it, you can be on your side dead. Just get a bigger truck, unless it is one of those tiny pop-up campers.