Best size tires to use with camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OP has a 1988 K1500 with a 10 bolt rear end. Upgrading to a 10.5" FF axle seems like overkill to me. May as well buy a heavy 3/4ton . Upgrading to a 9.5" SF would be worthwhile and that would be much easier and more than good enough. (I've never done it as my K1500 came with the 9.5") He could add a leaf or two to the rear springs if needed. Braking is always a concern when carrying a truck camper with a 1/2 ton truck. I've done it and you definitely have to drive slower and allow much more stopping distance.

Typically, the tire pressure on the door sticker is for maximum GAWR/GVWR. 50 PSI gives you a load rating of about 2205 lbs per tire. 65 PSI gives you about 2600 lbs per tire and 80 PSI gives you about 3042 lbs (for a 245 size tire, 265 will get about 3400 lbs.)
So, to get the rear GAWR of 6084 lbs (typical for 3/4 ton or SRW 1 ton) you need to have 80 PSI which gives you 2 x 3042 lbs = 6084. You certainly don't need 80 PSI in the rear tires when running empty or even with a moderate load.

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMCTruck, you made my point so well... when you are towing and you use the transmission for braking the inertia on the 10 bolt slams the axle gears due to tire weight. Good info.

The point is, tire pressure is not what gives you the rating.
Those pressures are each for different load rated frames. The frame is a holistic engineered system, frame, springs, axles, tires, pressure.

You cannot expect to simply add pressure to make the 10 bolt axle and weak springs or the thin frame, equal carrying capacity of a 3/4 or 1 ton FRAME, even by adding a heavy duty axle, an extra leaf or air pressure. You still only have a thin frame...

Changing one thing screws up everything, no matter how many times you got away with it without an accident.

The 10.5" suggestion provides a solution to the C-clip and available tire size for the front and rear axle tire options, only, not load rating.
If you run a 4wd and use different tire sizes, you'll smoke the transfer case due to tire diameter differences.
Probably won't be able to shift it into 4wd.

5% +- from the door sticker is the functional load adjustment allowed.

If temps drop more than 30 degrees, your tires are out of pressure specs. Elevation matters too.

Imagine taking off from San Diego and landing in Denver with 10% under pressure tires, taking off from sea level... you'd be landing on the rims a mile high. Your camper trips over the mountains experience the same relative changes under load. How many of you air up before the big climb? Do you plan to air down, back at sea level?

"I don't like it any more than you do... ) - Cool Hand Luke (1967) Strother Martin as Captain

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I wasn't implying that tire pressure alone determines the load carrying capacity, but with the appropriate vehicle the ratings are affected by the tire pressure and type. Thanks for adding that info to clarify.
One benefit of the 9.5" SF on the 1/2 ton is that it gives you a braking system rated at 7200 lbs instead of 6200 lbs.

Reaction score
Lol think this thread got alittle too far, having a 14bolt would be cool an all, but with having built up my 10bolt from the loving G80 exploding last time i think i will wait to even consider a 14bolt swap till this axle goes boom, and have to remember this is a slide in popup camper built for 6.5ft 1/2 trucks from palomino, my uncle ran this camper for 8 years on a 2wd ford f150 all over colorado with 0 problems, and with my truck having a way better suspension (after market) think ill be safe.. but to end this thread, tires are on, camper on and sitting level as can be, thanks for the helpful responses!

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generally, I think the size concern between the two is valid.

The smaller tire will allow the truck to transmit power to the road easier. It will break better, accelerate better and so on.

The larger tire will be better in adverse conditions, increase capability is sand and such, and look better.

I would get laod range E tires in whatever brand you choose. If you tow alot, go with the smaller one. If you have an abundance of power, go with the larger one.