Best size tires to use with camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Havent been on a GM forum since fullsizechevy.com, but they seem to not be around anymore. so ill try here and idk if i posted in the right area.

Truck: 1988 Gmc truck K1500

currently i run a 285-75-16 and truck is great with my slide in camper, but would going to a 265-75-16 be better,worse or same?

im buying new tires and im being told a 265-75 would be better then others say 285-75 is better?

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The size will not make a difference. The LOAD rating however will. LOAD RANGE E. 10 ply tire. strong sidewalls for carrying weight. I run load range e tires on all my vehicles even my Escalade which I have never towed anything with. Do not believe any of the BS that it ruins the ride. It just is not true.

Reaction score
The size will not make a difference. The LOAD rating however will. LOAD RANGE E. 10 ply tire. strong sidewalls for carrying weight. I run load range e tires on all my vehicles even my Escalade which I have never towed anything with. Do not believe any of the BS that it ruins the ride. It just is not true.
forgot to add it will be loadrange E, currently truck has load range D.. but new set will forsure be loadrange E... after research i see the 265-75 will be easier on the 10bolt than the 285... i just dont want to get a 265-75 and regret not sticking with the little bit bigger tire cause right now it rides good and looks good with the 285 but with rotation weight of the 2 tires i see the 265 being easier on the drivetrain but might not look as "cool" as the 285..

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with part of your advice and agree with most.
Increase Tire size is an idication of increased un-sprung weight.
This is not better when under heavy load near max capacity, especially up a hill or over rough roads.

The gov lock or the u-joints are rated for the engineer's descision during design. Sure you can go with oversized tires, however, the recommended tire size on the door sticker is usually the best advice.

Especially when towing.

Fat tires suck in the snow and on ice.
The wider footprint achieves less pounds per square inch traction.
Climbing a hill fully loaded in the Colorado snow roads, you want the best traction not cool fat tires.

Save them for the sand dunes when the camper is not on the truck.

Load range is only part of the equation.
Everything matters all the time.

245/75R16 is what is on the 1999 Suburban.
It has gov lock and is rated to tow heavy loads.
Go smaller and get better traction with less un-sprung weight for towing.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Increasing tire diameter will effectively give you a "taller" (or weaker) rear axle ratio. Assuming stock 245s and 3.73 gears, going to a 265 will be like having a 3.59 rear end. Going up to 285, it will be like having a 3.46 rear end. Personally, I would go 265 because it will give good stability carrying the camper and a feeling of having a little more power.
What size is your camper? floor length, loaded weight?

Reaction score
Increasing tire diameter will effectively give you a "taller" (or weaker) rear axle ratio. Assuming stock 245s and 3.73 gears, going to a 265 will be like having a 3.59 rear end. Going up to 285, it will be like having a 3.46 rear end. Personally, I would go 265 because it will give good stability carrying the camper and a feeling of having a little more power.
What size is your camper? floor length, loaded weight?
The camper is made for a 6.5ft bed if that helps and camper dry is 1047lbs, bought the camper from my uncle and he ran it on his f150 with some 245's standard load rating and those tires didnt look happy lol