torsion bars wore out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lukeapre

Reaction score
It’s very possible these are the wrong bars. Glove box says this is the plow package version, so super stiff bars. Can’t imagine why someone would swap bars unless switching to softer ones and my burban does not ride soft at any adjustment, so I don’t think anyone swapped bars.
I remember years ago, I had my 74 Plymouth Satellite jacked up, can’t remember what I was doing, when I heard a BANG that was so loud, I literally thought someone had fired a gun near my ears. I didn’t realize until I lowered the car, and one side was nearly touching the ground what had happened. Torsion bar broke! :gr_guns:
The bar broke? Like in the middle? Or spun around where it fits? Just curious, last thing I need is some torsion bar malfunction/failure on the highway. Didn’t know that was a thing.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s very possible these are the wrong bars. Glove box says this is the plow package version, so super stiff bars. Can’t imagine why someone would swap bars unless switching to softer ones and my burban does not ride soft at any adjustment, so I don’t think anyone swapped bars.

The bar broke? Like in the middle? Or spun around where it fits? Just curious, last thing I need is some torsion bar malfunction/failure on the highway. Didn’t know that was a thing.
Yes it's thing. I had one fracture on an old Dodge Challenger. Then you're sitting lopsided on the droop stops on one side.

Was it super stiff because you had them cranked way up before the kit? Super stiff is a by-product of cranking, or it might also be why it needs bushings. If the uca's/bushings weren't loose during the height adjustment they can tear.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It literally broke in half. That would’ve been a disaster on the freeway.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to remember what I was doing that day to that Satellite. It was a long time ago…1980-82ish. I was like 20-21. I honestly don’t remember, it’s possible I was doing something stupid, just can’t remember. I did get another from a junkyard and put it in myself.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that makes sense... F60 is one part of the VYU Plow Prep Package, along with upgrades to alternator, tranny, etc

I've never seen a F60 tb