torsion bars wore out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mess with that either. And I agree, it looks more like the LCA’s, but looking closer, I think you see abnormal wear on both. I’m kinda baffled as to how it could even happen.

Last edited:

BMarino

Reaction score
Are you sure you haven't misplaced right and left torsion bars? Not sure if it applies to gmt400s, but usually torsion bars have a specific side... If you swapped them, maybe that could be your issue.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you haven't misplaced right and left torsion bars? Not sure if it applies to gmt400s, but usually torsion bars have a specific side... If you swapped them, maybe that could be your issue.
Yes, side specific, but not dimensionally different sizes.

lukeapre

Reaction score
I marked the bars before I removed them. They're the back in the right spot. Same orientation, same sides. To me it does look like both are slightly worn making a sizable gap. And yea I agree, no idea how these get worn like that, if they are worn. I can see the spring rate getting soft after time, but to wear inside like that, I don't know. I did find a video of a guy changing out bushings on his lower control arms, sure enough I can see light through the control arm where the bars fit in. He has the exact same suburban. His was not cleaned either and I could still see a gap. Maybe its these trucks alone? 1999 k2500s? I thought Gm was scavenging parts around this time. Maybe this item on their list got the old "good nuf"? To replace bars and lower control arms is about $1000k. I could go with a slightly softer bar rate, little smoother ride, and I do need lower control arm bushings....new control arms come with new bushings....thousand dollars is hard to justify for lca bushings, but with costs of cars these days.....shop would charge me hundreds to replace my bushings anyway....In the name of safety.....add to all that my seasoned process for justifying things that aren't necessary.... I appreciate the feed back guys. I'm going to do some more research and see if replacement is really an appropriate option. Thanks again!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mess with that either. And I agree, it looks more like the LCA’s, but looking closer, I think you see abnormal wear on both. I’m kinda baffled as to how it could even happen.
I'm wondering if the bars are indigenous to the truck. A lot can happen in 20+ years. Aftermarket replacements that didn't fit quite right etc. I would slide them back out and look closee at the wear on both pieces.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m trying to understand how a bar that fits tightly(at least supposed to) could spin around in LCA. The wrong one could.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do need lower control arm bushings
Maybe his wiped out control arm bushings created for him, the same problem you're seeing. Letting everything walk around and get wallowed out.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember years ago, I had my 74 Plymouth Satellite jacked up, can’t remember what I was doing, when I heard a BANG that was so loud, I literally thought someone had fired a gun near my ears. I didn’t realize until I lowered the car, and one side was nearly touching the ground what had happened. Torsion bar broke! :gr_guns:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember years ago, I had my 74 Plymouth Satellite jacked up, can’t remember what I was doing, when I heard a BANG that was so loud, I literally thought someone had fired a gun near my ears. I didn’t realize until I lowered the car, and one side was nearly touching the ground what had happened. Torsion bar broke! :gr_guns:
I mess with a lot of mopars. You might have tore the hex out of the control arm, or the t-bar fractured, or the crossmember that anchors the t-bar ripped loose from the unibody. I put P.S.T 1.03 bars in my Duster, and after wire brushing the hexes out and adding a touch of grease they were a tight fit. I've also seen Mopar one's break, slant 6 bars when cranked.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mess with a lot of mopars. You might have tore the hex out of the control arm, or the t-bar fractured, or the crossmember that anchors the t-bar ripped loose from the unibody. I put P.S.T 1.03 bars in my Duster . and after wirebrushing the hexes out and adding a touch of grease they were a tugh fit.
Yeah, I wasn’t even messing with it, it just exploded!