Torsion Bar / Lift Key answer thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a different question. I had leveling kit installed (before I knew any better) but mines only up 2.5 inches at the most and I have new extended ranchos (2in ext) and it rides fine. But somehow one of my keys (bolt too) is turned inward about 40 degrees. I couldn't adjust it if I wanted to. It wasn't like that when it was installed but it's been like this for some time. They literally look like this ---> \ |
What would cause that? Height hasn't changed at all, and will it be problem down the road? Thanks all

cody.drury

Reaction score
Ok I got my old bars out and getting ready to put the new ones in but were do I start the keys at

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

cody.drury

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dredging up an old thread here.
99 4wd 2dr. Previous owner seemed to use stock keys and cranked up 7/8”. The ride sucks. Stock shocks in a 180k mile truck. I don’t know if I can fix this with new shocks? Or do I need to crank the keys back down a bit and that might fix it ?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace the shocks. Preferably with a set that are 2" longer.
Or install an OE length pair AND a set of shock extensions meant for torsion bar leveling key replacements.

Bear in mind, cranking up the bars decreases their "down travel" capabilities. Fine if you're carrying a snow plow like I do, not so fine if you're looking for a smooth ride. But a soft riding shock absorber is a good band-aid

Last edited:

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replace the shocks. Preferably with a set that are 2" longer.
Or install an OE length pair AND a set of shock extensions meant for torsion bar leveling key replacements.

Bear in mind, cranking up the bars decreases their "down travel" capabilities. Fine if you're carrying a snow plow like I do, not so fine if you're looking for a smooth ride. But a soft riding shock absorber is a good band-aid

Thanks, I don't need a smooth ride but it feels like I'm in the back of a school bus in the 80s right now. The ride is OK but bumps are rough. I'd like it to be a little better. Question - what are the pros/cons of new shocks at OE+2" versus OE shocks + shock extension? Also I plan to reduce the torsion key crank as much as I can while still fitting the tires on there (33).

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are 3 internal zones in a shock absorber. The middle of the shock is the "comfort zone"; where most driving down the road is done. Very little suspension oscillation...
The extreme compressed, and extreme extended zones are called the "control zone". Much stiffer ride quality...

If you crank the torsion bars, you are driving at the extreme extended end in the control zone. Harsh ride, and/or fully extending the shock.
Putting a longer shock, or a shock extension in puts the nominal length back to the comfort zone of the shock.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 3 internal zones in a shock absorber. The middle of the shock is the "comfort zone"; where most driving down the road is done. Very little suspension oscillation...
The extreme compressed, and extreme extended zones are called the "control zone". Much stiffer ride quality...

If you crank the torsion bars, you are driving at the extreme extended end in the control zone. Harsh ride, and/or fully extending the shock.
Putting a longer shock, or a shock extension in puts the nominal length back to the comfort zone of the shock.
Thanks. If you had a preference, would you put a larger shock or a standard shock with extension? Does it matter?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, It does matter.
Larger shock, no.
If you are planning on lowering it back to factory height now or in the future, go with an OE length plus an extension. You can always remove the extension when lowering it, thus retaining the correct suspension travel

Never coming down in altitude like my plow truck? Longer length and better quality than factory is what I did.
However, if you go this route, and still lower it, you compress past the comfort and into the control zone again...

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in all the books they show to leave a 34 mm of thread to the adjusting bolt. tried that and it doesn't give any tension to the torsion bar. is it a mistake? or maybe it's 34 including the bolt head?

You must be registered for see images attach