Top Kick, Kodiak, 3500HD Exterior Door Handle Info, Cheap Handles, and Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I just submitted an order for mine from partszoneonline.com, which thunderstruck posted above, I'll let you know if the order goes through or not.
Every time I ordered from GMPD, I had to wait at least a week for them to even ship the order. Last time I used them, I waited well over a month for my order and couldn't reach anyone in customer service.

I've had much better luck with partszoneonline.com and surprisingly, my local dealership.

Thorne

Reaction score
Door Lock issue & parts availability

So I am new to posting on forums but, I have been fortunate to get a lot of good info from them. I saw this as a cool mod so I ordered what I could from Partszone and I received an email from one of the sales guys that three of the parts were discontinued. 15558837
But the salesman was kind enough to send me a list of dealerships in the country that still had shown 1 on hand. I found a dealer, Theilen Motors in Park Rapids, MN that had all three and they were kind enough to dig them up and send them out. So if you are still looking for parts, call up Partszone and see if they can give you the list. Your local dealer should be able to do the same.

I also had three frustrating nights of trying to get the lock to work with the key. I noticed that a few on this forum had mentioned issues. Well I finally figured it out. The handle rod is a little long and slightly engages the latch when bolted in. ( I would have to push the handle down to get the bolt on the door jamb side started and I could hear the latch spring move) Well, I remember my Dad used to yell at me when I had my hand on the handle when he tried to unlock the doors. All of these GM's did that, even back before the 80's. Well if the handle is engaged the door lock mechanism won't work. So if you are having this issue, don't worry your aren't alone, just try to shorten the handle rod by adding a bend in it. That was my problem at least.

Thanks for The awesome pictures and write up & part numbers GMC Burbalade! I would have been stuck without knowing those part numbers.

bones_708

Reaction score
I saw this post and since I wanted to rekey my truck anyway I went ahead and did this mod when I put in the new locks. It took a bit longer than it should of and if I did it again it would probably only take 1/4 the time but I got everything in and working great. I'm very happy with the look and glad I did it. Thanks for this thread because without it I never would of tried.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
did some checking and it seems they discontinued the rods (which is all i need..) is there any place out there yet that sells em?

hzemall

Reaction score
Anyone that has done this mod.....is there ANY way to use any of the stock rods clips etc to get these handles to work? Since most of the parts are discontinued, looking for other alternatives since I already have the handles....

Thanks

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Anyone that has done this mod.....is there ANY way to use any of the stock rods clips etc to get these handles to work? Since most of the parts are discontinued, looking for other alternatives since I already have the handles....

Thanks
You could extend them

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Updated first post with new links for the parts discontinued from GM Parts Direct. The Rockauto links aren't working correctly any more but the handles are still there, just search the part number. Prices have been updated to reflect current links.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bump. Ordered from GM Parts Giant and today they told me they don't have any of the rods in stock and they have been discontinued. This is harder find parts for than I thought.

code

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do I absolutely need the lock/latch rods?