To Box or not to Box....That is the question.

Should I keep the box or take it out?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
depends if you have things to keep in there or not i use my truck like a truck so mines full of straps tools shovels even a high lift jack plus thats where my cb whips are mounted. So the question is are you going to be using the box a lot? i also think tool boxes look good. id say keep it. i know that i ramble different things and make no sense so hopefully you get the point.
Well, as far as thing to carry. I was trying to decide what tools to put in the cab and where to stash them. It's not a DD, but I have a few straps, jumper cables, and some other things I'd keep in there. I have sort of a tool bag of tools that I would probably just put in there on occasion. Probably put my hitch and extra balls and stuff like that in there too. I'm not a fan of having stuff out in the open. The toolbox locks so I suppose people could speculate as to what tools would be in it, but not too worried about people breaking in there. I'd rather have them break a toolbox than a window of they were that set on getting into my stuff. I was trying to figure out why my box had 4 holes near the corner, but after seeing your CB antennas, I'll bet that is what was mounted there.

id say put it in u never know when u will break down and if u keep tools in it then u can fix it and get a low profile.
Where did you get your tail lights? I'm looking for ones like those but with a black background instead of chrome.

Yeah I got my black gull-wing box for $40, so I'm not complaining either. Once I lift it that will be unusable so I plan on getting a low profile black box from Tractor Supply.
Low profile?

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
i was dumb when i bought those i gave 110 for the pair but i bought them about 4 yrs ago at a local aftermaket store.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
By low profile he means from where the box sits on the bed rails to the top of the box. The "thickness" of the box, as far as what you can see from the side of the truck.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Low profile looks cool. I won't be buying one. I wouldn't even buy the one I've got, just had it left over from my old truck. If I can't shine it up I wonder if I can paint it white. Black would look funny on my white truck I think.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Don't know about looks.............it's all a matter of personal opinion. But you just can't beat the usefulness of it especially if you have a regular cab truck. I had an in bed box in my S-10 and thought I couldn't live w/o it. Took it out for some reason and never put it back in. So when I got my 1500 I thought I don't need a tool box, but now I'm re-thinking that. But like you I'd like a way to be able to put it in and take it out easilly. Which will be harder for me since I have a stepside.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know about looks.............it's all a matter of personal opinion. But you just can't beat the usefulness of it especially if you have a regular cab truck. I had an in bed box in my S-10 and thought I couldn't live w/o it. Took it out for some reason and never put it back in. So when I got my 1500 I thought I don't need a tool box, but now I'm re-thinking that. But like you I'd like a way to be able to put it in and take it out easilly. Which will be harder for me since I have a stepside.

I don't know the best way to do this. My latest thought is to weld a nut to the underside of the bed rail at each mounting point That way I could just have 4 wingbolts and washers and it would be quick and clean. Or even just a standard hex bolt with washers, but it'd be nice to have it be removable without tools. Not sure how feasable this would be on a stepside.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
On stepsides you can't access the underside of the bedrail like you can on a fleetside.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
On stepsides you can't access the underside of the bedrail like you can on a fleetside.

Meh, I always secure mine with a few self tapping screws anyway. I'll never not have one.

A low profile deep box is the perfect one IMO.