tires and lift specs, little help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, im lost. I have a 97 heavy half (see name) and I am confused as hell!!!!!

I dont have the same ground clearance as stock 1500 or 2500's around here. I am 1/2 a bumper taller than Z71's and half a bumper shorter than 2500's. To the best of my knowledge, the trucks I used as comparison are stock. I'm 99% sure I can clear 33's no problem bone stock. No trimming, no cranking, no nothing! Now I wont say its for sure as I dont have a set of 33 for my 16's, just the wifes 33x15's to mock up with. I'm, wanting to run 35's because any bigger gets too costly to replace rubber. Do i need to do a 6" lift like the 1500 guys or do some minor stuff like the 2500 guys? Dont get me wrong, more lift is always better, but I dont want to drop $1500 on a lift I dont need or worse, have too small a tire for my lift. I saw a very lifted truck driving around on smaller than my stock tires once and wanted to slap the guy driving it. I'm trying to avoid getting slapped here. LOL

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ohhhhh I didnt note the tire sizes on those trucks and I know that makes a difference so I should have looked.

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id say you could just go with a 4 inch lift and you should clear 35's since your truck is taller than a normal 1500

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
these trucks can usually clear 315's stock with a crank and block.

perfect example, member here Giiventofly

he said he has an inch of crank and only barely rubs the frame on tight parking lot manuevers.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmm.... I guess its just a get the tires and see what I need. I wont cost me anything to try cranking it enough. I'll just have to watch the joints and see if I get enough.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah give it a shot, it could work out, every truck is different though. post some pics when you do.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
might not be for a while, but its going to happen eventually. 30.5" just isnt enough for me. Hell, the snow drifts at the end of my driveway would catch that little clearance on the pumpkins.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok next question about the same topic....... I measured from the ground to the chrome strip in the side molding. I know its not the most accurate way, but its what i did. This truck sits level. Is that right? I thought stock trucks sat just under level, not level. Im curious because it would explain why it sits higher than other K's of the same size. If the previous owner cranked the bars, then I am definitely wanting to grab that 6". If not, then I am still at the trial and error game

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely yes, po cranked the bars.

If your only goal is to run 35's, why not just do a 2 or 3" body lift for a couple hundred vs spending a grand on a 6" kit.