Tire pressure help please

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by jw_96, Jan 8, 2017.

1. jw_96

jw_96 I'm Awesome

I know tire pressure is a relatively simple thing but I can't figure out mine. I have lt265/70R17x9 the max psi is 50 lbs when I put 40 in all tires the rear is tall and the front is squished by the engine. What do yall suggest if y'all want pics I can post them.

Incase it helps my truck is a 1996 Chevy k1500 RCSB.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. Jorge6.5

Jorge6.5 I'm Awesome

The air pressures for your specific truck should be posted on the drivers side door jamb. Follow that and you should be ok.

magimerlin likes this.
  3. jw_96

jw_96 I'm Awesome

Yeah but these tires are oversized from stock. I wouldn't think the door jamb applies

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. Bob L

Bob L Supporting Member

Truck weight is what decides how much air you should run. 50 psi sounds like way too much. The tire has max PSI listed it is not what you need to run. I have a RCSB and run 32 psi and it rides nice. If I was gonna load it with something heavy I would bump it up some.

Jorge6.5 likes this.
  5. aaronb

aaronb I'm Awesome

I like to use chalk across the tread, and adjust the air pressure until I get an even wear pattern. Note your air pressure per corner.

kennythewelder likes this.
  6. sntrym

sntrym I'm Awesome

7. Fuzzy

Fuzzy I'm Awesome

Run 32-38, the truck still weighs the same and 265/70R17 is the same as 265/75R16 as far as overall size, which isnt an upgrade over stock. As for the front tires bulging and the rears not, you have C Range Tires, which (while totally safe) are more prone to flexing with weight due to only having 6 plys over a D or E Tire with 8 or 10.

Bob L and Jorge6.5 like this.
  8. tinfoil_hat

tinfoil_hat OBS Enthusiast

I also felt like my tires looked too low at standard pressure and it seemed like the fronts were wearing too fast. The sticker on the door tells you the recommended pressure but that's also intended for the standard tires offered for your model. Your brakes and even your steering were designed to work with this combination. Switch to a non-standard tire and you obviously change this relationship. The pressures listed on the tire might be way, way higher than what the door sticker says. That's just to tell you what the tire can handle, not necessarily what you should run. Now that said, I am running 50 psi in my tires right now which is near max for the tire and obviously way higher than the door sticker. This was just an experiment at first to see if my gas mileage would go up. Turns out I am now getting way better traction in snow. My last set of tires had the same tread pattern but I always felt like I was swimming in snow. Now I just cut right through. Yes, the ride is quite a bit rougher.

Jorge6.5 likes this.
  9. Tavi

Tavi Vehicle enthusiasts

I run 65-75 on E rated tires and the fronts are still look a little more squished.

10. 5spd Z71

5spd Z71 I'm Awesome

35psi front 30psi rear