timing cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yes sir, you will have to remove the dowel pins in the older block, but it will all bolt right up. Got a buddy that had a good older 350, and blew up his vortec. Threw his vortec heads on it, reluctor wheel, crank sensor, accessories, and drilled a hole for the knock sensor. It all fit like a glove.

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you i got another question the block im using is a 80s can i use all my vortec stuff cam rollers spider etc. im using a 383 stroker

98_k1500

Reaction score
No, the cam and lifters and spider will not work. The lifter bores are too shallow in the older block, and there is nothing to bolt the spider to. If you wish to go roller, you need an aftermarket roller kit designed for your application. You have to match your timing set to your cam, the roller cam timing gear will not bolt to a flat tappet cam.

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so use a flat tappet cam remove the spider can i use the stock fuel injection still?

98_k1500

Reaction score
Yes, if you use the vortec heads, it'll bolt right up. My buddy that did this has a flat tappet in his.

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info so i need

1. flat tappet cam and lifters
2. matching timing gear and chain

everything else should work

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can i still use the roller rockers with the flat tappet cam?
and should i use hyd or mechanical cam

98_k1500

Reaction score
rollers on a flat tappet, no. I would not suggest going mechanical, it will require adjustments every few thousand miles. You will need the correct length pushrods. I forget which ones you need.