Messed up rear differential cover change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cover on the 10.5 axle under my '97 K2500 was so rusted that it had actual holes in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought a new cover.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M38FI9A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two of the bolt holes in the cover were undersized, had to be opened-up with a die grinder and rotary file before the bolt would go through. I don't remember which two holes they were.

You must be registered for see images attach

GM has a bulletin on synthetic gear lube vs. RTV Silicone; supposedly the synthetic gear lube used by the axle manufacturer interacts with the RTV Silicone used by the axle manufacturer, the Silicone is degraded by the synthetic lube. I don't think this can be generalized to ALL synthetic gear lubes, and ALL RTV Silicone sealers, though.

I would, in general, prefer a paper gasket to RTV Silicone, but I've used both with success.

For the record, Permatex makes a "special" RTV Silicone specifically intended for use with gear lube.
www.amazon.com/Permatex-81182-Gear-Gasket-Maker/dp/B0023GM2KK

IF (big IF) the bolt hole really-is screwed-up, I'd cram a Heli-Coil (or equivalent) in there without hesitation.

Last edited:

DDTurbo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently did my 2001 K2500 Duramax and had no problems with the GM gasket, cover, or bolts.