Time to make a choice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so today i was approved to buy a 2003 Mustang Gt. Its got 60000 miles no upgrades. This car has been well taken care of and babied all its life lol. Now the guy is holding it till sunday for me. I have a 3500 dollar budget i can either use as a down payment or if yall think i can build a motor capable of over 300 whp with it i would rather go that route. i found a vortec long block online for 900 dollars and it comes with the heads off which is fine that way i can do some port matching with them and the intake. and i can exchange the cam out. I was just wanting your opinions on the subject. lol i know theres prob no way to get an unbiased opinion on a chevy forum hahahaha but give your best ideas. I am on the fence 50/50 either way.

Last edited:

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
I would use it as the down payment. Your payments will be lower, and you'll be able to save more every week and be able to afford the engine sooner than you know it!

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finance nothing....if you cant pay out of pocket...you dont need it. I went down the credit highway in my 20s...I was bankrupt at 30. Less is more my friend. Just my .02

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
I went down the credit highway in my 20s...I was bankrupt at 30.

I'm mostly only replying to say that this is what happened for me too.

But it's unrelated to your question. I've always been more partial to the 99-04 Stangs, but I'd say use money as down payment. That's the SMART thing to do. The FUN is use it for the motor.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i would be happy with a motor that gives me 300whp or more which im guessing its easier to get more if you have full bolt ons with long tubes. with 4.10s and higher stall i should be able to walk a stock mustang at our local track which is only 1/8th mile. then i could also throw on a 100 shot and really have some fun lol. now should i get the long block with the heads not istalled so i can do some porting. I keep hearing people say port vortecs and others that are completely against it. i figured if i were to just smooth them out it would prob be a small impovement. but if i get the complete long block all i gotta do is swap out the cam put intake on and put into truck.... much easier.