tie rod upgrage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freeze

Reaction score
any body ever do a tie rod upgrade? I have a 98 2500 HD and the tie rods seem to bend pretty easy with my 35" tires. I have lifetime warranty rod ends in there now, so they are free to replace, but then I have to spend $60 on an alignment every time a new one goes in. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

White98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see responses. I have the same truck and same size tires. Getting alignment on it Monday morning.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
don't crank as much, or count your threads/tape them and put the new one in the same amount to avoid the alignment.

although a toe set alignment is cheap and easy.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Baer Disc Brake Systems 3301010 - Baer Brakes Baer Tracker Tie Rod Ends
Check these. They are designed for lowered vehicles, so you should contact BAER to see if they are applicable to 4X4's. I don't see why they wouldn't work, but I can't say for sure. They are a lot beefier than the stockers.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yep, I just used tape to mark my end before I pulled it a few weeks ago and put it beside the new one and taped it in the exact same spot.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also works great if you remove both tie rods and adjuster sleeves, measure the overall, and then install all new, tie rods and sleeves.

freeze

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. anybody know how accurate it is to tape the threads and what is the accuracy an alignment shop will adjust the tie rods too? I have tried counting the number of turns it took to take the old tie rod out, and putting the new one in the same amount of turns. I was able to get the alignment close, but they still had to do more adjustments at the shop. I have brand new tires and I don't want to ruin them. I will also look into BAER. They look like they might work, i'll give them a call.