thinkin of buying this truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya if I hadn't got a Z71, I could have gotten a nice 2wd for about 3-3500....

Some of the Z71 I looked at were really rough an priced higher than what I gave for mine :crazy:

yea 2wds are cheap, but after my last truck i dont want another 2wd. it got stuck if a frog pissed in the road lol

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
2700 for a truck with 210k and some rust issues...I wouldn't pay quite that much. If you can get tham down to 2400 or 2500 then it would be a fair deal

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know its gonna need some work, its a 17 year old truck with 200k miles. that part dont bother me as long as its dependable. overall, who thinks its a good deal, even if i have to pay another $3-$5 hundred? id be in it at the most $2700 plus a few things fixing it up

I say go for it

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I should just bite the bullet and do the bushings while i got the body off.

i know its gonna need some work, its a 17 year old truck with 200k miles. that part dont bother me as long as its dependable. overall, who thinks its a good deal, even if i have to pay another $3-$5 hundred? id be in it at the most $2700 plus a few things fixing it up

I think that it would be a good project, the same truck would be at least 6500 around here. There is a 92 or 3 rclb work truck white with some pretty good rust here and they want 5---,
But like p2 said its if you think its worth the loan or not

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ill try to find out tommarow what it will be total. if i can get by with only paying the $1200 back or maybe $1500 ill prolly go on and get it.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck, it's hard to say without seeing an driving it. Things always look better in pictures I've found lol...

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it does look a little better in the pics. it makes the paint shine a little more, and it hides a few imperfections. nothing that would be a deal breaker though

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you were to get a loan for it, you would have to consider the cost of insurance, gas, and repairs, with the additional cost of making that payment every month. Have you checked anything out other than the interior & body? Trans, (Oil smell burnt?) New tires? (If so, that could be hiding front end probs) CEL on? There's a bunch of things that these trucks like to kill, such as water pumps, rads, &, because it's a vortec, intake manifold gaskets. If those haven't been done (the gaskets) on an engine with that mileage, I'd be doing those as soon as I got the truck.
If one, or any number of these things, decided to go south on you, would you be able to fix them, & still be able to make that monthly payment?
As you can tell, I'm a little leary of getting a loan, for an old high mileage vehicle.
Banks won't usually touch a vehicle more than 5 years old for a loan. So, that means going to a finance Co. with big interest rates.
If I was to get a loan for a vehicle, I'd be looking at one a lot newer, more predictable, & more reliable. Not saying that that one isn't, but it is an unknown at this point.
Nothing sadder, & more frustrating than making payments on a broken vehicle. Can't sell it. You could, but would you get enough $$$ to pay off the loan? And you can't drive it, cause you can't afford to fix it in order to make the payment.
Not saying that this is your situation, just something to consider.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Looks fairly comparable to my 93 which I would call a $3000 truck before I did the rust repair. Right now in its multi-colored goodness its more like a $2000 truck, but after the repairs and paint I'd say $3500 is fair. If its what you want, go for it. Loans are pretty cheap right now so if you're going to do it now is the time. Look around and see if theres a better deal for a similar truck though, lots of them out there.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you were to get a loan for it, you would have to consider the cost of insurance, gas, and repairs, with the additional cost of making that payment every month. Have you checked anything out other than the interior & body? Trans, (Oil smell burnt?) New tires? (If so, that could be hiding front end probs) CEL on? There's a bunch of things that these trucks like to kill, such as water pumps, rads, &, because it's a vortec, intake manifold gaskets. If those haven't been done (the gaskets) on an engine with that mileage, I'd be doing those as soon as I got the truck.
If one, or any number of these things, decided to go south on you, would you be able to fix them, & still be able to make that monthly payment?
As you can tell, I'm a little leary of getting a loan, for an old high mileage vehicle.
Banks won't usually touch a vehicle more than 5 years old for a loan. So, that means going to a finance Co. with big interest rates.
If I was to get a loan for a vehicle, I'd be looking at one a lot newer, more predictable, & more reliable. Not saying that that one isn't, but it is an unknown at this point.
Nothing sadder, & more frustrating than making payments on a broken vehicle. Can't sell it. You could, but would you get enough $$$ to pay off the loan? And you can't drive it, cause you can't afford to fix it in order to make the payment.
Not saying that this is your situation, just something to consider.

id love to have a newer vehicle just dont want a big payment. if i borrowed $1200 for it, it would be a personal loan, that i could pay off fairly quick. the quicker i pay it off, the more mods i could do. going to look at it again right now, and to check on the loan. ill post back later tonight on what i figure out. gotta work at 5 so itll be late