Possible new buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever buy another truck with title issues. Fought through the thicket of dealing with the DMV and the state of North Carolina to get a title for my K3500, now that it's done I'm happy and I'm glad I did it, probably won't do it again unless it's a screamer of a deal that's worth all the hassle.

@someotherguy I don't know how Texas does it, but in North Carolina you can arrange something where you swap the vin-plates, but it essentially brands the title as non-transferable? The process was explained to me but I don't remember all the steps. I know some guys who have done the old switch-aroo and haven't had a lick of trouble, but doing that wouldn't sit right with me, I'd be paranoid about everything involving the truck.

Attachments

• PXL_20230725_000053572.jpg
    PXL_20230725_000053572.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 6

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever buy another truck with title issues. Fought through the thicket of dealing with the DMV and the state of North Carolina to get a title for my K3500, now that it's done I'm happy and I'm glad I did it, probably won't do it again unless it's a screamer of a deal that's worth all the hassle.

@someotherguy I don't know how Texas does it, but in North Carolina you can arrange something where you swap the vin-plates, but it essentially brands the title as non-transferable? The process was explained to me but I don't remember all the steps. I know some guys who have done the old switch-aroo and haven't had a lick of trouble, but doing that wouldn't sit right with me, I'd be paranoid about everything involving the truck.
Yea title issues are no joke. But I think that's worth saving and the trouble. Down fall though is 6.5.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Many (and I would guess probably all) states have a process called an "assigned VIN" where they deal with vehicles that have had their VIN tag altered/damaged, removed, or simply fell off in the case of older vehicles that didn't have them firmly attached. It's a durable sticker with the new VIN embossed into it and comes with a title. Obviously they will do a thorough inspection of the vehicle to be sure it's not stolen, though I've never gone through that process with any vehicle - I have seen, and bought, a couple with assigned VINs.

I've never heard of anywhere that would allow you to swap a VIN tag from one vehicle to another. Not saying you're wrong or that it's impossible, it's just news to me! I'd have to really wonder how common that is and what the whole process involves.

As far as getting a bonded title, in TX it's a little overwhelming if you're new to the process. I paid a title service to do a few for me - hand them the paperwork I've got, they go do all the legwork then hand me back registration, plates, and title comes in the mail. The last one I just had them go do the legwork to file the bond paperwork, then I went in with all of it and applied for the title, got the registration, plates, etc. saved me some bucks on the title service fees.

Richard

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea title issues are no joke. But I think that's worth saving and the trouble. Down fall though is 6.5.
I admit, I wasn't a big 6.5 believer, but my brother had one that took a beating and kept running like a scalded dog. The 6.5 in my green truck is a pretty good mill too, good for a 6.5 at least.

Many (and I would guess probably all) states have a process called an "assigned VIN" where they deal with vehicles that have had their VIN tag altered/damaged, removed, or simply fell off in the case of older vehicles that didn't have them firmly attached. It's a durable sticker with the new VIN embossed into it and comes with a title. Obviously they will do a thorough inspection of the vehicle to be sure it's not stolen, though I've never gone through that process with any vehicle - I have seen, and bought, a couple with assigned VINs.

I've never heard of anywhere that would allow you to swap a VIN tag from one vehicle to another. Not saying you're wrong or that it's impossible, it's just news to me! I'd have to really wonder how common that is and what the whole process involves.

As far as getting a bonded title, in TX it's a little overwhelming if you're new to the process. I paid a title service to do a few for me - hand them the paperwork I've got, they go do all the legwork then hand me back registration, plates, and title comes in the mail. The last one I just had them go do the legwork to file the bond paperwork, then I went in with all of it and applied for the title, got the registration, plates, etc. saved me some bucks on the title service fees.

Richard
I think the "legal" vin swap is one of those under the rug deals that the state wouldn't actively advertise, but I know some guys who run body shops/small dealerships and they've gone that route.
One of the shops that was helping me through a connection because of friends showed me documentation of the process and it's a little more expensive than just getting a standard title, but takes half the time. It could be an older process that's been discontinued as well? North Carolina can be strange when it comes to title situations on vehicles
The biggest caveat being once that process of legally swapping vin plates is done the vehicle couldn't be sold, or at least the title couldn't be transferred. Plus I think it's a little harder to obtain insurance; I don't remember all the details since it's been close to 2 years that I've had to deal with the titling process.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had my other 6.5 since april of 2019. Only downfall I've really had is winter time. Seems like I can't keep it from gelling no matter how i treat the fuel. Did have a bit of electrical problems with it but other then that it has been solid. I'm not staying the 6.5 is the best engine out there but it's not bad if you know its limitations and don't ask for more then it can do. This truck has the "best" of everything by 6.5 factory standards.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So to update this thread. I still haven't bought the truck. Good news he decided to go another route and is leaving the bed on it. He got a title for it so I don't have to worry about it doing that. The not running problem was indeed a bad pmd. Bad news is now that the box is staying and he knows it runs he is wanting more out of it. He is asking 3000 now. I still think it is a fair price for it. I a little upset about the price change but I never committed to buying it. I still haven't so all I can do is blame myself.