Possible purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have to pass smog to get a title?

With the 4x4 it looks like a better deal than the first one if that “sluggish engine” is something simple dollar-wise.

haroldwca

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been shopping around for these trucks so I had to run a KBB just so I didnt give you outdated advice on price. This is for a 1992 (KBB doesnt go older than that) in fair condition in your Zip Code. If there was a poor condition I would have selected that.

I wouldnt go more than $1000 for it. Bad transmission and the drivers door doesnt open, for $3800, wtf. Never going to sell. Shop around for something better to spend your money on, something better will pop up.

You must be registered for see images attach
I realize that market values are very dependent on where you are in the country. I live on the opposite coast, but $3000 for that truck is a good price here. Notice that it doesn't show ANY rust. Typical of So Cal; typical of SE NC where I live too. The interior looks good, and I wouldn't speculate on what else is wrong. Just ask. Do the windows go up and down easily? Functioning AC? Lights and other electricals? Noise from the differential? Also, a used transmission can be had for a few hundred. Yes, it's a bit of a gamble, but if $1500 for a rebuild is a bit off-putting, it might be worth it. Fixing the driver's side door latch is a weekend project at best. It may only need a new interior door handle (quite common for them to break off). The only other cause might be the door latch, itself, or that the linkage has become disconnected due to a broken clip. None of these problems is expensive.

For the record, if your skill set is up to it, you CAN rebuild your own 4L60 (same as 700R4; this truck is before 1993 so no "e" on the end). Just google the video of Mr. Hiram Gutierrez "4L60-E Transmission Full Rebuild." It's over two hours of a complete tear-down and rebuild showing positively EVERYTHING needed to rebuild a 4L60e. Just skip the reference to the electronics for a 700R4.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you asked, I’d pass. Be willing to travel for something, even flying to another state. Price of a ticket is often cheaper than a transmission rebuild. I went to Virginia from MA and bought a $4500.00 truck with 46k on it.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very valid points here.
My goal is to build a smog legal street truck (or a 454ss clone) is lowering a 4x4 more involved that a 2 wd? I do not want to do any frame cutting just a better lower stance

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very valid points here.
My goal is to build a smog legal street truck (or a 454ss clone) is lowering a 4x4 more involved that a 2 wd? I do not want to do any frame cutting just a better lower stance
I get really wanting a truck but waiting for something that suits your needs will be the best bet. Lowering a 4x4 is more involved but possible.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO….In So Cal that truck would be gone at that price or dang close.Even with a bad trans. If it’s a Ca truck it means minimal to no rust so that in itself adds a lot of value simply from not having to deal with rust repair which is expensive. Now prices are gonna be different from location to location but the RCSB trucks do demand a higher price than a long bed. He’s selling the truck based on his local prices not some guy 3000 miles away.
I’ve sold trucks before and I had people from out of state call with there is a guy selling one for this much less and he’s 100 miles away. Ok go buy that one .

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very valid points here.
Little more work but 4x4 lowering kits are available. Little more involved but doable. It didn’t used to be that way…4x4 couldn’t be lowered easily a while back.

I would keep it as close to stock as possible. This way smog won’t be a issue. Lots of guys are doing LS swaps. I prefer to keep the stock look.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am in the marked for my first OBS single cab. I am going to look at a 88 single cab, my question is this: owner states it only shifts up to second gear, are transmission repair very expensive? I want to make sure I make a good decision as he is asking 3k for the truck

Vince
It looks like a decent truck. The body is straight, no rust, from the pictures it looks like the paint still has some shine, the glass is good, interior looks good - no rips in the seat. I'm not sure why a lot of the guys here are saying that it's not worth much. Door not opening could be something as simple as the rod came out of the clip ($4 to fix). Even if you had to replace ALL the door mechanisms, it's less than $100. If you you can do the transmission yourself, you can get a rebuild kit with clutch plates for under $200. If it's in as good of f condition with few other problems, it should be about an $8000 truck after you fix the known problems with what trucks are going for. I don't think that's too bad for a $3500 investment. Or you can spend $70,000 for a new truck that has a working door and all gears.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It looks like a decent truck. The body is straight, no rust, from the pictures it looks like the paint still has some shine, the glass is good, interior looks good - no rips in the seat. I'm not sure why a lot of the guys here are saying that it's not worth much. Door not opening could be something as simple as the rod came out of the clip ($4 to fix). Even if you had to replace ALL the door mechanisms, it's less than $100. If you you can do the transmission yourself, you can get a rebuild kit with clutch plates for under $200. If it's in as good of f condition with few other problems, it should be about an $8000 truck after you fix the known problems with what trucks are going for. I don't think that's too bad for a $3500 investment. Or you can spend $70,000 for a new truck that has a working door and all gears.
And have ginormous payments that continue long after the truck is wore out....