The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tx_noir

Reaction score
New to the forum, love the site, and the 88-98 is forever my favorite body-style truck. Anyways, I have a '93 K2500 (I've had it since I was 18) and I went down a couple tire sizes today (had 285/75-16 and went to 265/75-16 Cooper ATP). I want to drop the truck about 3 to 4 inches in the rear, 2 to 3 in the front. Basically, I'm just not a fan of the newly formed gap.

The question I have is: with my truck having a heavy-duty frame, how low can I reasonably go with my truck? I LOVE long and low trucks, but I know with how my frame dips down under the cab that I can't go too low. Thanks for any help.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
You should be fine with that level of drop, considering some people run 5/7 on half tons and still have ground clearance

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOT ONE FOR YA..

Why does everyone usually say "get drop spindles, but not belltech spindles" just curious. ive read that a few times.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Belltech spindles for the gmt 400 push the the wheel outward 1/2 per side, and others such as DJM do not, they did this for more clearance around the LCA rain gutters when run stock size rims. I have installed many sets of both, and the Belltechs work just fine but you have to make sure your rims have the correct offset to clear the fender. Take it from me, sometimes that extra 1/2 inch can make or break a wheel choice.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Belltech spindles for the gmt 400 push the the wheel outward 1/2 per side, and others such as DJM do not, they did this for more clearance around the LCA rain gutters when run stock size rims. I have installed many sets of both, and the Belltechs work just fine but you have to make sure your rims have the correct offset to clear the fender. Take it from me, sometimes that extra 1/2 inch can make or break a wheel choice.

^ This. It's not a quality issue. BellTech is one of the best in the business, so just because someone suggests against their spindles, don't think their products are bad. It's just a fitment issue. I would never run BellTech spindles, but I have no issue with anything else BellTech.

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run bell tech spindles on my 79 chevy love them .. But have had wheel issues on our beloved 400's with their spindles . And yes it is the whole offset issue . they are a great company and alot of neat products for our trucks. but i donot buy their spindles for a GMT400 .if you are building a truck and are gonna order wheels just for the truck your building it isnt that big of an issue, just order a wheel with specs to your ride. but then again if you are like me wheels can be changed at any second ... A lowered 400 its about time I built another one of those

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, it's closer to 3/4" per side. But yeah, it's a quality product. I too run into tire rubbing problems with just about any wheel I try to buy. If the BT spindles hadn't come with the truck, I would have never run them. The problem, as I see it, is that when BT first cast theses spindles, just about the biggest diameter wheel available was 16". And they've never re-engineered them with modern wheel sizes in mind. Back then, no one would have imagined that GM would be selling trucks that came stock with 22" wheels.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
2/4 some have done a 3/5 but most recommend a notch

Sent from my SM-N910P