The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine is for sure a silly question... wanting to lower my GMC 1989, i will want to lower without the need for frame mod.
How much low can i go? And how? It's a 4wd

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1991 c1500. RCSB Belltech 4/6 kit.
Fought to get the shock extender on the passenger side, elongated the extenders bolt holes a bit and it finally got in there. It fits nice and tight against the factory mount.
Drivers side is worse yet. It seems like it doesn't want to "seat" up again the factory mount.
Anyone come across this?
Thoughts are hogging whatever metal is clashing out of the Belltech piece as to keep the factory mount, well factory. And then drilling out the bolt holes a few sizes bigger. The bolt gets torqued to something like 180ft lbs or something ridiculous like that. So I'm not "that worried" that the holes would be bigger, as there is another bolt that gets put in from the side.
Thoughts? Solutions?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine is for sure a silly question... wanting to lower my GMC 1989, i will want to lower without the need for frame mod.
How much low can i go? And how? It's a 4wd
I believe Belltech makes a lowering kit for the 4x4's. Uses new torsion keys and shackles and hangers out back. Think it's 3"front and 4"rear.
Just head to their website and other manufacturers to see what they have for ya.
Not many go lower on a 4x4.

monsterwake

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a flip on my long bed. I cut the bed crossmember in the middle out completely because I had 1) under bed step notches and 2) clearance issues with the differential. Belltech states that you have to do that. I also took about 6” out of the crossmember just in front of the one previously mentioned on the passenger side so I could clear the upper shock relocation bracket.
Do you have pictures of where you cut the bed crossmembers?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have pictures of where you cut the bed crossmembers?
You must be registered for see images attach

This is where I cut mine. If you are doing a flip kit, you probably have to notch above the frame rails as well. For the bed to sit flush due to the c-notch reinforcement.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is where I cut mine. If you are doing a flip kit, you probably have to notch above the frame rails as well. For the bed to sit flush due to the c-notch reinforcement.
No, the notch should not interfere with the top of the frame.

cosmic12

Reaction score
Newbie here but have been reading a lot, This is my 1st truck drop but far from my 1st build. My stupid question is. Lostar 3" drop spindles any good? I want to do a 5/7 drop with the flip on a 1993 1/2 T 2WD ext cab short box 2 dr. I can't find any info on LoStar for cost or whatever but I have someone that has a new set and I need to know if I'm screwing up buying them.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, the notch should not interfere with the top of the frame.
Think something got mixed up there.
I had to notch the bed brace at both ends above the factory frame. Did this because the Belltech notch is pretty thick and won't let the bed sit flush on the frame once bolted down. And actually it pretty much the last thing said in the Belltech instructions.

Excuse the hackjob cut, definitely easier with the bed off.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Newbie here but have been reading a lot, This is my 1st truck drop but far from my 1st build. My stupid question is. Lostar 3" drop spindles any good? I want to do a 5/7 drop with the flip on a 1993 1/2 T 2WD ext cab short box 2 dr. I can't find any info on LoStar for cost or whatever but I have someone that has a new set and I need to know if I'm screwing up buying them.
Never even heard of them until now. I personally wouldn't get anything as important as spindles from anyone but the "big boys".

cosmic12

Reaction score
So you say no, ok I didn't have a real good feeling about the name and price. But when you say Big Boys who might that be and should I be looking at 3" drop spindles in the `1st place? Seems most everyone is using 2". I plan on 18" wheels also. I read that the Beltech makes the wheel stick out 1" more.

Last edited: