The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you say no, ok I didn't have a real good feeling about the name and price. But when you say Big Boys who might that be and should I be looking at 3" drop spindles in the `1st place? Seems most everyone is using 2". I plan on 18" wheels also. I read that the Beltech makes the wheel stick out 1" more.
Belltech, Western Chassis, DJM and McGaughy's are the bigger names for sure. They have all been around a long time. Some here have installed React ones as well.
Ya, the Belltechs and their clones push the wheel out a bit. But it's not an inch, more like 1/2"-3/4" depending on who you ask. Careful wheel choice makes it a non issue, proper backspacing.
Not many run a 3" spindle. 2" seems to be the norm. Not exactly sure why that is though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Think something got mixed up there.
I had to notch the bed brace at both ends above the factory frame. Did this because the Belltech notch is pretty thick and won't let the bed sit flush on the frame once bolted down. And actually it pretty much the last thing said in the Belltech instructions.
You must be registered for see images attach

Excuse the hackjob cut, definitely easier with the bed off.
Yeah, was gonna say the same thing, my longbed has a support that sits right on top of the notch brace as well, the one at the rear of the brace. Not too sure if the instructions for the 3500 kit say anything about trimming it, or I was just so exhausted at that point from all the extra work of cutting out that hack job of a gooseneck install, that I overlooked it. I just went ahead and bolted it down. I think that is at least some of the cause of my slight "bad cab mount" look that I'll need to go back in and address later.

Richard

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, was gonna say the same thing, my longbed has a support that sits right on top of the notch brace as well, the one at the rear of the brace. Not too sure if the instructions for the 3500 kit say anything about trimming it, or I was just so exhausted at that point from all the extra work of cutting out that hack job of a gooseneck install, that I overlooked it. I just went ahead and bolted it down. I think that is at least some of the cause of my slight "bad cab mount" look that I'll need to go back in and address later.

Richard
I was ready to bolt mine down and looked at the gaps between the braces and frame and stopped. I didn't want to crack my bedsides(stepside) Took a boo at the instructions and lo and behold, it said to trim the brace ends. Glad I did.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think something got mixed up there.
I had to notch the bed brace at both ends above the factory frame. Did this because the Belltech notch is pretty thick and won't let the bed sit flush on the frame once bolted down. And actually it pretty much the last thing said in the Belltech instructions.

Excuse the hackjob cut, definitely easier with the bed off.
Something isn't right. I've done a dozen of these on various trucks, including several 400's and never had an issue with this. Belltech included

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something isn't right. I've done a dozen of these on various trucks, including several 400's and never had an issue with this. Belltech included
Not sure what to say... lol
The bed brace sat right on top of the frame. The Belltech notch sits on top of the frame. So the bed brace can't sit flat anymore. If I didn't notch the brace, the bed wouldn't sit down flush. And dealing with a stepside I didn't want to take the chance of cracking or stressing the SMC.

Pardon my crude highlighter skills. But it's right in the instructions from Belltech.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to say... lol
The bed brace sat right on top of the frame. The Belltech notch sits on top of the frame. So the bed brace can't sit flat anymore. If I didn't notch the brace, the bed wouldn't sit down flush. And dealing with a stepside I didn't want to take the chance of cracking or stressing the SMC.

Pardon my crude highlighter skills. But it's right in the instructions from Belltech.
I guess it's just something I've never encountered before. Live and learn.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was ready to bolt mine down and looked at the gaps between the braces and frame and stopped. I didn't want to crack my bedsides(stepside) Took a boo at the instructions and lo and behold, it said to trim the brace ends. Glad I did.
I set my bed back down and realized that the cross member was getting hung up on the upper shock relocation bracket on the passenger side. Thankfully I had the bucket tractor and lifted it back off, placed it back on the barrels and got to cutting. Bed is junk underneath so I didn’t feel too bad.

When I get another I plan on doing a much cleaner job. It works but isn’t perfect. Only so much a guy can do with a grinder while laying down.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's just something I've never encountered before. Live and learn.
Those belltech instructions are so bad at times, too. They use the most grainy black and white photos possible.

I feel like they could easily spend the time and revise the photos and wording. They could have them online with HD photos along with paper copies to print out or ship in the box. YouTube is nice for this but I still prefer having a sheet of paper most of the time.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I set my bed back down and realized that the cross member was getting hung up on the upper shock relocation bracket on the passenger side. Thankfully I had the bucket tractor and lifted it back off, placed it back on the barrels and got to cutting. Bed is junk underneath so I didn’t feel too bad.

When I get another I plan on doing a much cleaner job. It works but isn’t perfect. Only so much a guy can do with a grinder while laying down.
I get ya on the laying down with a grinder!!! Lol
If you look closely at the left hand side of my pumpkin notch, it's a different angle altogether. Shhhhhh..... don't tell anyone!!! Lol
It will get fixed eventually when I take it back off for paint.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those belltech instructions are so bad at times, too. They use the most grainy black and white photos possible.

I feel like they could easily spend the time and revise the photos and wording. They could have them online with HD photos along with paper copies to print out or ship in the box. YouTube is nice for this but I still prefer having a sheet of paper most of the time.
I actually downloaded the pdf and zoomed in multiple times. Way better than the paper ones. But they definitely need an update. I even told them that when we were emailing about my shock extension issue.