The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
96 and 97 are tough years for things like that. typically they aren't supported very much because they were primitive OBDII computers. IMO the best thing to do is swap to a 411 PCM (which has far more support) and use a software like EFILive for scanning and logging. if you don't want to swap PCMs then you'll be limited in your options, I'm not sure of any GM specific computer based logging software that is compatible with the 97 PCM, you could probably find a generic software that could log a few basic sensors, but you'd be hard pressed to find one that could read the '97 specific GM sensors. you could get a good hand held scanner that can read some live data like a autoxray or something.

94Chevy350

Reaction score
would anyone know why my truck seems to have a slight slip, it seems more like a miss, i did put heddman headers on my truck and removed the cat and made my own y pipe i was wondering if its because of less back pressure or a slight miss because of a plug/wires or a timing issue, engine ran great with manifolds now has a slight back fire please let me know what you think could be wrong, its a 94 chev with a 350 crate tbi.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would anyone know why my truck seems to have a slight slip, it seems more like a miss, i did put heddman headers on my truck and removed the cat and made my own y pipe i was wondering if its because of less back pressure or a slight miss because of a plug/wires or a timing issue, engine ran great with manifolds now has a slight back fire please let me know what you think could be wrong, its a 94 chev with a 350 crate tbi.

Could you have maybe cracked a plug when installing the headers or mixed up a pair of wires?

94Chevy350

Reaction score
i'm thinking maybe i hit a plug, or also maybe a spark plug wires gone to because i believe there from 94 and origional

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is a misfire and what does it feel like inside the vehicle at idle?

I think this might be something that's wrong with my truck.

Thanks

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
What is a misfire and what does it feel like inside the vehicle at idle?

I think this might be something that's wrong with my truck.

Thanks

its what my truck has. it will make the idle feel rough and uneven, it'll give the whole truck a little bit of a shake, is your cel on? if it is with a misfire i would get it checked out. my miss isnt bad enough to throw a code but you can still really tell especially on a cold day. driving though you shouldnt notice unless its pretty bad.

jonwin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cel-check engine light?

Theres no code or engine light just at idle it seems to misfire for a couple of seconds and stop.but only sometimes. I changed the cap rotor plugs and wires I'm stages and it went away after installing the plugs but came back after about 5 days of driving.

I installed all acdelco stuff.

Just can't figure out what's wrong

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Possibly a burnt exhaust valve, or a slight bit out of time, or the computer is somehow adjusting the dist a bit back and forth at idle to try and correct an issue that it thinks is there, lotsa little things with electronic advance that can go awry and cause things like that.