The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the compressor, far easier and to do than to source that seal and then try to tear the compressor down to replace it.

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 Tahoe. Vortec. How hard would it be to put in a 6.5L Turbo Diesel? I know it was an option, and I would use the same engine as the option.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, you would have to do quite a bit still, given you should have the same motor mounts ( i am pretty sure i read they used the same ones, might wanna double check that) then a different fuel tank, lines, probably transmission, you would want to change rear axle (or atleast i would to a 14 bolt sf) and you would need a different computer, and i think there is other things.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
well, you would have to do quite a bit still, given you should have the same motor mounts ( i am pretty sure i read they used the same ones, might wanna double check that) then a different fuel tank, lines, probably transmission, you would want to change rear axle (or atleast i would to a 14 bolt sf) and you would need a different computer, and i think there is other things.

Gauge cluster as well I believe, and maybe the larger radiator (they probably have the same 34" core as 5.7L)

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what I'm really hearing is it's not worth the time or money that I will be investing. Just stick with the 350 till it kicks the bucket. its at 200K right now. Not abused, and runs like a dream. Im just a diesel guy. haha

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
So what I'm really hearing is it's not worth the time or money that I will be investing. Just stick with the 350 till it kicks the bucket. its at 200K right now. Not abused, and runs like a dream. Im just a diesel guy. haha

Ya just about everybody here will tell you to stick with the 5.7 till it kicks the bucket, then switch to an LS motor which will have MUCH more possibilities for modifications. But don't think that won't be a lot of work either, because it will haha

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The work isn't the problem. My dad's a mechanic and that's what I'm going to school for. The money is my real deal. But if I keep the 5.7, Im doing the exhaust. Headers-Tail pipes. Probably 2.5" Duals or 3" Single. Mufflers: Super 40, 50 Series, or Super 10.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
The work isn't the problem. My dad's a mechanic and that's what I'm going to school for. The money is my real deal. But if I keep the 5.7, Im doing the exhaust. Headers-Tail pipes. Probably 2.5" Duals or 3" Single. Mufflers: Super 40, 50 Series, or Super 10.

Well when it comes to money then people will definitely tell you that when compared to other engines, the 6.5L isn't the best value. But yes it is a diesel and it's up to you of course. Also I have no actual experience with the 6.5's but from what I've heard on here they're good enough, but nothing to write home about.

Another option is the one you mentioned. Keep the 5.7, a full exhaust will surely help it breath, E-fans will help free up some power and MPG's, and a Black Bear tune will wake it all up. You could also install a new cam or change gears if appropriate.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1990 350 Tbi, is there only one Oxygen sensor? I see the one on the driver side... some parts store spec only one for the vehicle. Is that right?