The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright here we go... what is a locker for an axle, and i was looking into putting bigger gears in my truck to replace the 3.73 gears with 4.10 but preferably 4.56, i dont want to just do the gearing and open up the axle ill buy it all together. can i replace my 10 bolt rear with a 14? and how would i do that?

A locker is a device that sends power to both of the rear tires all of the time.

As for swapping rear ends yes you can replace your 10 bolt with a 6 lug 9.5" 14 bolt rear axle. Just be sure when getting one that it is 4wd as the 2wd ones are narrower. All you need to swap is new u-bolts and a conversion u-joint or swap yokes.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone please help me identify my rear end (I can hear the jokes coming)? Clearly, it's a 10-bolt. I'm about to order a TrueTrac carrier and need to know definitively.

I tried figuring this out through Eaton's gasket identifier but was too st00pid this evening to complete my mission. Any ideas? The RPO codes don't help in this case.

You must be registered for see images

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
St00pit runs deep. I think I answered my own question. 8.5?

You must be registered for see images attach

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK. I know I have the 8.5 stupid one-legger now. I'm trying to order a TruTrac carrier for it (rear) and have been trying to figure out exactly whether I have 28 or 30 splines without taking the thing apart. The only stamp I found anywhere on the thing is on the front passenger side. It says N M A K 1 2. Have no idea what that means. Anyone?

Secondly, looking at TruTracs on Summit Racing's site, it says new bearings are required and there are two options. I'm confused.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK. I know I have the 8.5 stupid one-legger now. I'm trying to order a TruTrac carrier for it (rear) and have been trying to figure out exactly whether I have 28 or 30 splines without taking the thing apart. The only stamp I found anywhere on the thing is on the front passenger side. It says N M A K 1 2. Have no idea what that means. Anyone?

Secondly, looking at TruTracs on Summit Racing's site, it says new bearings are required and there are two options. I'm confused.

I believe the last years for the 28 spline 10 bolts was 88 or 89. So your 97 would be a 30 spline.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So should my front drive shaft be spinning if I am in 2wd?

I think my actuator is stuck in the engaged position.

maxakabill

Reaction score
If you have autotrac the front drive shaft should be spinning while your moving. When your using autotrac thats how it senses when your rear end is slipping, so it would need to spin in 2wd. Not sure if it still spins in 2wd because it has automatic locking hubs as opposed to manual ones though..

maxakabill

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
This axle is out of a 2008 2500HD Duramax 2WD, and if I'm not mistaken it is a 14 bolt FF axle. Can I swap it in place of my 10 bolt on my Suburban? Id be nice because it has disk brakes! What do I do about the U bolts? Im pretty sure I can get a new pinion yolk and u joint to make it fit my drive shaft. Any way to tell if it has a detroit locker?

Last edited: