The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Now thats how you dumb it down for someone like me! Any idea on how bad mpg would suffer with 4.10s on 285s. Might be my next performance gain
Shouldn't bee to bad equivalent of trucks that came stock with 3.73s and 265s

eluwak

Reaction score
Ok, read all 47 pages, and didn't see exactly what I was looking for.

My Suburban is used primarily for hauling our RV and other misc stuff. My folks used to have a F350 dually, and I like the added lateral stability they provide. I would like to do a dually conversion on the Suburban, and convert the rear brakes to disk brakes at the same time. It looks like I will need an ABS unit and MC from a newer truck, and a 2WD rear axle, but I'm not exactly certain which parts I should really be looking for.

I'm thinking I'll probably do this next year. I have an in with a salvage yard that takes in older vehicles, so I can get him to keep an eye out as things come in once I know.

TIA :cheers:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

My Suburban is used primarily for hauling our RV and other misc stuff. My folks used to have a F350 dually, and I like the added lateral stability they provide. I would like to do a dually conversion on the Suburban, and convert the rear brakes to disk brakes at the same time. It looks like I will need an ABS unit and MC from a newer truck, and a 2WD rear axle, but I'm not exactly certain which parts I should really be looking for.

I'm thinking I'll probably do this next year. I have an in with a salvage yard that takes in older vehicles, so I can get him to keep an eye out as things come in once I know.

is your sub 2wd? They did make dually subs so looking into those couldn't hurt

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score

There's a company called Arrowcraft that used to do alot of conversions, they're still out there, so they may have some info for you. I know they used to offer Suburban fenders, http://www.arrowcraft.com/index.php

eluwak

Reaction score
is your sub 2wd? They did make dually subs so looking into those couldn't hurt

Yes it's a 2WD. I was thinking that I could take a dually axle from a C3500 truck, but wasn't sure if there was one with disk brakes already that would work (I thought all GMT400 duallys had drums?). Also I think I've read somewhere that I need to change something on the front too from a donor truck.

There's a company called Arrowcraft that used to do alot of conversions, they're still out there, so they may have some info for you. I know they used to offer Suburban fenders, http://www.arrowcraft.com/index.php

I've seen these, and have wondered if the adapters put extra strain on the hubs? It's probably the engineer in me over analyzing things...

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yes it's a 2WD. I was thinking that I could take a dually axle from a C3500 truck, but wasn't sure if there was one with disk brakes already that would work (I thought all GMT400 duallys had drums?). Also I think I've read somewhere that I need to change something on the front too from a donor truck.

I've seen these, and have wondered if the adapters put extra strain on the hubs? It's probably the engineer in me over analyzing things...
Stock dually have adaptors on the front. The only factory 400 that ik of that had discs on the rear was the C3500HD and those axles are not wide enough I don't think.

eluwak

Reaction score
Stock dually have adaptors on the front. The only factory 400 that ik of that had discs on the rear was the C3500HD and those axles are not wide enough I don't think.

Oh, interesting. I'll have to give those more consideration then.

Thanks!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score

They do, but it's how factory 2wd's were set-up out of the box.

red1

Reaction score
The E locker is nice in snow and ice. A mechanical locker in bad weather can be hard to drive. Both have there pros and cons I would pick the E locker you can simply run unlocked for snow and ice but in the mud and rocks lock it up by a switch when you need it plus in the ice and snow when you do have that bad day and find your self in the ditch you have a good chance of getting out when you hit the switch. just my 2 cents worth