The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
It may be difficult because axle shafts might be longer or shorter for the larger brake drum with the same overall width. Also the flange where the backing plate may have to be moved as well. Not going off of experience here but just my thoughts of such a project

navyboy65

Reaction score
thanks guys for the input. I would like to just try it but I would need more info and would be nice to have the jb5 & jb6 set ups side by side and seems like that would make it more work than the gain. So I would agree that if I wanted the brake I would be easier to go with a 14 bolt swap, provided the whole axle/rear is good! So I'll put it on the back burner for now and keep a look out for a good set up at the right price!

Tirebite

Reaction score
I have a FF 14 and was wondering if was possible to convert my front 5 lug IFS to 8 lug? I have seen the 5 to 6 lug conversion but not the 5 to 8. I am trying to figure out, if it can be done, what cost would be as compared to buying the $400 conversion hubs to make the 14 a 5 lug. Besides I really like the look of 8 lugs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tirebite

Reaction score
wait 4wd didnt have 5 lug

Your right, my truck is a 2wd that I started fabricating parts and rebuilding axles,trans,transfer case in hopes of a solid axle conversion. I still have everything to do it just went down another route. After numerous deployments and strokes of bad luck at project start time, I decided to just do an 05' 5.3 LS conversion on my truck. I have decided to keep the truck a daily driver but still want to put this 14FF behind my truck. The end result would be matching rims that allows me to carry one spare tire.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ive heard bad stories and others ive hear nothign but good things. depends who you buy from so research is key. id look into swapping front hubs though. should be failry easy.

Tirebite

Reaction score
ive heard bad stories and others ive hear nothign but good things. depends who you buy from so research is key. id look into swapping front hubs though. should be failry easy.

Agree, should be easy, but not sure if it has been done. The 1500 (5 lug) and 2500 ( 6 lug) 7200 lbs have a 295mm ID as the 3500 has a 315mm. Just wondering if the spindles are interchangeable?