The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
So if I go pull the parking brake assemblies, rotors, and caliper brackets from a 00+ Sierra 2500 with a disc brake 9.5 14 bolt, all I should need to buy new is the calipers and pads to swap to discs on my drum brake 9.5 and keep a parking brake, correct?

And would I be able to later transfer those brakes over to a 10.5 14 bolt?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
So if I go pull the parking brake assemblies, rotors, and caliper brackets from a 00+ Sierra 2500 with a disc brake 9.5 14 bolt, all I should need to buy new is the calipers and pads to swap to discs on my drum brake 9.5 and keep a parking brake, correct?

And would I be able to later transfer those brakes over to a 10.5 14 bolt?

There is a write up of someone who did that but with the 8.5 rear end, he needed spacers for the backing plate.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...nd-04-rear-disc-from-silverado-on-my-95-Tahoe

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen it done on six lug trucks, just never on 8 lugs. What I'm really curious about is if they'll transfer to the 10.5, or even a dually 10.5. Obviously the dually hubs would push the rotor back, but that should just lessen the need for a spacer, right? Or is the backing plate flange pushed back in as well on the dually?

98k15005.7

Reaction score
My 98 k1500 has RPO G80, and i had the diff cover off last week and it definitely is a locker but it acts like an open diff. when i tried to move the cylindrical pall thing that locks the axle it never locked. any idea if the whole rear end would need replacing for the locker to work or is there a little pall that i can get separately to install?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
My 98 k1500 has RPO G80, and i had the diff cover off last week and it definitely is a locker but it acts like an open diff. when i tried to move the cylindrical pall thing that locks the axle it never locked. any idea if the whole rear end would need replacing for the locker to work or is there a little pall that i can get separately to install?

you have posi not a locker and its likely worn out which is quite common. you can buy the whole lcoker carrier and swap it in with your gears and stuff as long as your gears and such are all good. i honestly wouldnt waste time with the 10 bolt though look for a 14 then add a locker.

navyboy65

Reaction score
OK this thread is pretty huge and I have read though some of it, and I searched some but didn't see info on my potential project
I have a94 k1500 (z71, but no f44 heavy duty) so I have a 8.5" rear axle with the jb5 brake system (10" rear drums) and I was wondering if I can put rear jb6 11" drums on my 8.5" axle?
I have the 94 C/K truck manuals and it doesn't address what exactly went on what? Not a huge fan of the jb5 10", I redid them a year ago and have had nothing but problems. think I may have gotten a bad/not exactly round drum?
Anyways I just want to see if it has been done? Know I would need backing plates, wheel cylinders, complete hardware kit, shoes and drums at the min. Would it all line up without any thing else, assuming it would fit at all?
Thanks!

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I would honestly look for a semifloat 14 bolt

Stronger
Bigger drums you want
Still 6 lug

navyboy65

Reaction score
I would honestly look for a semifloat 14 bolt

Stronger
Bigger drums you want
Still 6 lug

All are true, but I don't really want to got through the hassle of finding a good 14 bolt and then doing the swap, most likely by myself. The chances of finding a 14 bolt locally are slim and even if I did or went the 1hr+ to a yard, would I get a good one or ? I think for less than $200 I could upgrade to the 11". My 10 bolt 8.5 works fine just don't like the 10" brakes. Chances are I'll get my 10" drum or drums warrantied and that'll fix my issue but would like to know if 11" drums on a 10 bolt 8.5" is an "easy" upgrade swap?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
All are true, but I don't really want to got through the hassle of finding a good 14 bolt and then doing the swap, most likely by myself. The chances of finding a 14 bolt locally are slim and even if I did or went the 1hr+ to a yard, would I get a good one or ? I think for less than $200 I could upgrade to the 11". My 10 bolt 8.5 works fine just don't like the 10" brakes. Chances are I'll get my 10" drum or drums warrantied and that'll fix my issue but would like to know if 11" drums on a 10 bolt 8.5" is an "easy" upgrade swap?

itd be less hassle to swap to a 14 bolt than mess with a weak rear end and equipping it with larger drums. i ugraded to a 14 bolt for 75 bucks, pulled the diff because i wanted a locker 500, built myself a brand new driveshaft 40 bucks, did all the seals, bearings, brakes, fluids and everything.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
If bigger drum swap is even doable, would require pulling axle shafts out and swapping backing plates and all. Then dealing with brake lines that probably won't come apart.

For the minor benefit of a bit larger brakes its probably more work then gain.

I would try it regardless and show people it is easier than it looks. If nothing else, your rear brakes will be brand new when done.

Sent from my HTC 8X using Tapatalk